Supermicro X10SDV-4C-7TP4F vs. X10SDV-7TP4F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
In my quest to consider a replacement for the Avoton-based Mini XL motherboard, I have run across these two boards. While I haven't run into CPU limits ever on the Avoton C2750-based board, I suspect that the slower SATA ports are having an impact on my pool performance.

What I really like about the two Supermicro boards is that they feature two PCIe x8 slots, a M2 at x4, SATADOM for the OS, and relatively modest power demands (35W TDP). The CPU varies between these two boards (D-1518 for the 4C, vs. the D-1537 for the other) as does the price (the 4C costs about 1/2 of the other). Both offer two on-board SFP+ ports, as well as a LSI 2116 HBA which should keep attached SATA drives happy.

Now to my question. For a home set up where this thing will get used solely as a file server with an encrypted pool, (no PLEX, no virtual machines, etc.) will the "slower" D-1518 work well for 2-3 users or will the additional cores in the D-1537 have a noticeable impact? Espc. considering that CPU loading never exceeded 40% on my Avoton? I don't anticipate using anything besides AFP and SMB for protocols. Whether I turn on SMB encryption is up for grabs, but let's assume I will for argument's sake.

The pool will consist of 8x10TB HGST he10's, in a Z3 supplemented by a L2ARC (500GB EVO 840 SSD) and two mirrored SLOGs (Intel DC S3710 @ 200GB ea). Intended system RAM would be 2x32GB for 64GB ECC RDIMM.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Wow... all things things firmware sure move slowly at Supermicro. I noted some posts back in 2016 re: the need to upgrade the firmware on the HBA card to P20 from P19. Selecting downloads and Ubuntu, the firmware that comes up is P19. Two years, after a reader here was pointed to a super-secret upgrade at Supermicro via technical support. That's just odd.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's ultimately irrelevant, they use standard LSI firmware. Supermicro only adds a handy EFI script that runs everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.