Supermicro SBB with SATA drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtK

Patron
Hey,
I got a Supermicro SBB (24 * 2.5") which currently has 2 * 6 MBF2300RC in RaidZ2. This gives ~3.25T (and 66% is already full).
Ideally I would like to have more space and more IOPS, so listening to @jgerco, I'm leaning towards 24 (1-2Tb) which will probably end up in 2 (or 3) way mirror vdevs.

The SBB should also support SATA drives (using an interposer), but according to the (recently updated) Compatibility List, there are no SATA drives :)
From what I understand (and experienced) about the SAS drives, they need to have a DUAL interface port, so I wonder if the same is required from the SATA drives.

Has anyone any experience with this machine and/or can help me find suitable (SATA) drives?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The purpose of the interposer is to translate the single SATA channel to a dual SAS.

MtK

Patron
The purpose of the interposer is to translate the single SATA channel to a dual SAS.
I suspected so... ;-)

so leading candidates are:
  • Samsung/Seagate - ST2000LM003
  • Toshiba - MQ01ABB200
  • WD - WD20NPVX
I could also go for the 1Tb version, as it might be enough space for my needs:
  • WD10JFCX
  • MQ01ABD100H (edit: now it's correct)
  • ST1000LM024
is that correct?

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Correct, except that note the WD is a green drive, which has all that baggage. WD does not sell a Red in the 2TB capacity for reasons unknown.

MtK

Patron
I just edited and added the 1Tb versions.
the WD is red... :)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yup. And the 1TB Red's seem pretty nice, FWIW.

MtK

Patron
Yup. And the 1TB Red's seem pretty nice, FWIW.
The problem is that:
  1. Except the 1Tb WD Red, the other drives are nowhere to be found in here :/
  2. I will have to buy an Interposer for each drive...

MtK

Patron
maybe cause I made a mistake in one of the model numbers :)

MtK

Patron
@jgerco, is the HGST Travelstar 7K1000 also a valid option?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There's a lot of options at the 1TB level.

As for the interposer, I don't see a lot of value for the average FreeNAS system. At least from my perspective, interposers are mostly useful where you want the cheap-largeness of SATA but have a system with dual head units.

MtK

Patron
There's a lot of options at the 1TB level.

As for the interposer, I don't see a lot of value for the average FreeNAS system. At least from my perspective, interposers are mostly useful where you want the cheap-largeness of SATA but have a system with dual head units.
Well, this is exactly the case here...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, this is exactly the case here...

Since FreeNAS doesn't support dual head units, ........

Well, anyways, more parts equals more things that can go spectacularly awry. Just call me "not a fan."

MtK

Patron
Yes but there are no good (and/or cheap) SAS alternatives...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
When it seems like the world sucks, I look back to the days of 110 baud modems, teletypes, etc., to keep my perspective.

Yes, it sucks, but not too much. ;-)

marbus90

Guru
Buy SAS disks or a standard server. You cannot utilize the dual server failover capabilities with FreeNAS anyway. TrueNAS isn't going to be ported to such systems.

An Interposer needs to be a piece of hardware between SATA disk and SAS backplane port. Doesn't fit into these trays, so that's a moot point. SATA disks would only connect to 1 server, the other one would be blind and diskless.

MtK

Patron
An Interposer needs to be a piece of hardware between SATA disk and SAS backplane port. Doesn't fit into these trays, so that's a moot point. SATA disks would only connect to 1 server, the other one would be blind and diskless.
It works, I already check that with one random disk I had (long time ago), and it's in the spec list (datasheet) of the server, so I see no reason for it not to work...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It works, I already check that with one random disk I had (long time ago), and it's in the spec list (datasheet) of the server, so I see no reason for it not to work...

It should work. The only problem might come is if the interposer is being picky, but since there are fewer manufacturers of hard drives now than half a decade ago, maybe that won't be such a problem. Still, you've chosen the road less traveled, and while it is expected to work, it is hard to say how it'll turn out.

MtK

Patron
Coming back to this after a long pause.
Skipping the interposers route, any recommendation for 2.5" SAS drives? 300GB & 10K are also fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.