Why on x10DRD-Int NVME drives wired to SATA connections as well?

Tenek

Explorer
Hi folks,

I recently got 4 bay supermicro server with x10DRD-Int in it.
I see that 2 nvme bays are wired (from back-pane) to both NVME and SATA connectors. I wonder if both connectors are actually used to driver NVME drives? Or SATA connection is used only if non-NVME dive is plugged into the bay (and it can be disconnected with NVME drives)?
And what are these extra two yellow SATA connectors? I mean, can I use these yellow sata connectors with the regular sata drives? From the manual: "(I-SATA4/I-SATA5: can be used as Supermicro SuperDOMs [Devices-on-Module] with built-in power connectors", but it is a bit over my head ).
Thanks!

Attachments

• x10drd.png
    x10drd.png
    934 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
The physical port is the same between SAS and U.2 (SFF-8639) - see below:

033c-demartek-sff-8639.png

But the pins are separate between the SATA/SAS and NVMe protocols.

Or SATA connection is used only if non-NVME dive is plugged into the bay (and it can be disconnected with NVME drives)?

If you never plan to put a SATA/SAS SSD in there, you should be able to remove the SATA data port.

And what are these extra two yellow SATA connectors? I mean, can I use these yellow sata connectors with the regular sata drives?

Yes - they're just capable of delivering power to SATADOM (SATA Disk On Module) devices if they're plugged in. They won't be able to power a regular SSD on their own.

Tenek

Explorer
@HoneyBadger thank you for clarifications!
If I decide to utilize un-used SATA connectors what would be the best approach to power-up extra SSDs? I think I found a couple fan power cables, can I use these with some adapter? Or I can get molex splitter and use molex connected that goes to back pane? Or I can use USB to power it?

Attachments

• fan cable.jpg
    fan cable.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 160
Last edited: