Motherboard: SuperMicro X8DTU-F
CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon E5645
Ram: 96GB DDR3 ECC
Boot Drive: 2 x Transcend SSD370S 32GB
Storage Drive:8 x 2TB Seagate ST2000NM0125
LSI 9201-16i
Chelsio 10GBASE-CX4 S320E-CXA
FreeNas 11.0

I'm new to this whole SAS thing and I now have encountered my first real problem, the front backplane on the 36 bay case is no longer functioning. Initial testing, break-in and beta testing 11 everything was working correctly at some point between the initial testing and final configuration (FreeNAS 11 release) the backplane stopped being detected without me noticing. I changed from a LSI 9211-8i (moving the card down one PCIe slot) added a CX4 10GBs card, relocated 2TB sata drives to the rear backplane, connected 4 fans to the headers on the SAS2-846EL1 and moved to rack (took a thump on route). Ran it for months and just recently realized the front backplane stopped working when I started my offsite backups.

Things I've done to try and correct the problem include changing ports on the HBA, reverting to original HBA, installing new SFF-8087 cable to backplane, reseating all power connections to backplane (two blue lights are on when system is powered up), removing 10GBs NIC, relocationg HBA in PCIe slots and disconnecting fans from backplane. I'm pretty sure dmesg used to show SES0 and SES1 while it was working now it only shows SES0, I've run out of idea's aside from getting another backplane anything I've over looked here?

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I've run out of idea's aside from getting another backplane anything I've over looked here?

If you have confirmed the HBA (both ports on the card) will run the rear backplane
with no issues, this eliminates: card, pcie slot and 8087 cable, leaving backplane
at fault.

It is sure looking like I'll have no choice but to order one, that is the one part I don't have a spare of to test.

Edit: replaced the SAS2-846EL1 with a SAS2-846EL2 and everything appears to be back to normal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.