SuperMicro IPMI SMTP Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

{HD}

Dabbler
Not FreeNAS Specific question -

I am trying to get ipmi notifications setup with email alerts via GMail.
I cannot enter a domain name in the "Mail Server IP:" box. I obtained the displayed IP by pinging smtp.gmail.com.
I blacked out my email for security reasons...?
I have tried both port 25 and 465 with no luck. I have check my settings within gmail and cannot find anything that would be relevant.

SMTP_Setting.PNG

One big issue (I think) is there there is no SMTP Authentication fields...

Has anyone had success with this? I was thinking of hosting a local email server but I would rather not...

SuperMicro X8DTE-F with current ipmi firmware

{HD}

Dabbler
I suspect I would have similar problem with most popular providers. Without any SMTP authentication abilities.

I am guessing I’ll have to host an email server locally. I just won’t allow any WAN access to it...

Xelas

Explorer
SuperMicro DOES have SMTP auth capabilities in later version of the firmware. Make very certain that you are running the latest version of firmware for your BMC. I have the X10SL7-F which has firmware version 3.45. There is separate section specifically for SMTP authentication. Because this is SuperMicro, though, means there are quirks. The password field refuses to accept parentheses in the field, and there is long list of other special characters it refuses to accept.
The X8 series seems to be discontinued and no longer getting support, so it's likely that even though your basic hardware may work with later BMC firmwares, SM hasn;t bothered posting the firmware on the web page? There is some pretty tight integration between the BMC firmware and the BIOS, but if you feel up to the risk, you may try downloading a newer 2.xx IBMC firmware for a different SM board and trying to flash that? From what I can tell, you can recover from a failed flash if you have physical access to the machine and are willing to boot to a DOS image from a USB drive to perform recovery exercises.

Obviously, I'm just a random dude on an internet forum, so proceed at your own risk.

Screenshot of a 3.xx firmware version below:

upload_2017-11-1_12-6-23.png

{HD}

Dabbler
you may try downloading a newer 2.xx IBMC firmware for a different SM board and trying to flash that?
I like the sound of that. I guess I will start by trying to see if anyone else has done or had success with this first.

I'll post my results/findings.

Xelas

Explorer
I like the sound of that. I guess I will start by trying to see if anyone else has done or had success with this first.
You might find this slightly obscure page helpful (and the other pages linked out of there). It lists the different BMC chips used in the different board generations. For example, since the X10 and X11 boards both have the same AS2000 BMC chips, that explains why they are both equally supported even though the X10 boards are pretty old nowadays.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/IPMI.cfm

Status
Not open for further replies.