Supermicro drive trays

Whattteva

Wizard
Greetings!

I'm on the cusp of getting my hands on a used 4U Supermicro X11DPG-OT, but it comes with no drive trays at all.
I looked up X11DPG-OT but it just seems to be a motherboard and not the chassis. The listing doesn't mention anything about the chassis information other than it being a 4U.

My question is, can I just buy any 3.5" Supermicro drive caddies on eBay and put it in the chassis or do I have to match the models/part numbers etc.?

Here's how it looks like from the front.
s-l1600.png

nabsltd

Contributor
I have plenty of 4U SuperMicro chassis with 3.5" bays, and none of them have the horizontal "split" like in your picture. Your picture looks like this chassis, which has 2.5" drive bays, not 3.5" bays.

Whattteva

Wizard
I have plenty of 4U SuperMicro chassis with 3.5" bays, and none of them have the horizontal "split" like in your picture. Your picture looks like this chassis, which has 2.5" drive bays, not 3.5" bays.
Aww that sucks... I guess it's good I ended up losing the auction lol. Thanks for spotting that. I'm not too familiar with Supermicro chassis.

danb35

Hall of Famer
More broadly speaking, my experience has been that Supermicro 3.5" caddies are mechanically compatible across the line, even if there may be cosmetic differences. I'd imagine the same is true of 2.5" caddies as well, but I haven't worked with those.

Whattteva

Wizard
More broadly speaking, my experience has been that Supermicro 3.5" caddies are mechanically compatible across the line, even if there may be cosmetic differences. I'd imagine the same is true of 2.5" caddies as well, but I haven't worked with those.
Ah good to know. So it sounds like they're universal. Kinda' bummed that it's 2.5" as the price was really attractive, but I guess I'll make do with smaller drives.

Whattteva

Wizard
Quick question to you all.

Say I want to use 3.5" drives. Is it possible to just pluck the X11DPG-OT motherboard out and stick it in an ATX/E-ATX chassis and use it?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't find a Supermicro motherboard that exactly matches X11DPG-OT--the closest I find is X11DPG-OT-CPU, which is a proprietary form factor. Supermicro sells it as part of four SuperServer systems:

Only the last one takes 3.5" drives. But you'd probably be better off finding a more-compatible motherboard.