SOLVED Supermicro a1sai-2550f reboot unexpectedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeChn4K

Dabbler
Hi,

I finished my build based on this hardware :
- MOBO Supermicro A1SAI-2550F
- RAM 2X Kingston KVR16LSE11/8HB (8GB PC3L-12800 CL11 ECC 204-Pin SODIMM)
- PSU BeQuiet! Pure Power 9 400W CM

No OS installed, no HDD or USB connected.

This build restart unexpectedly after 4 or 5 min... : In BIOS, at "no boot media detected" page, during a Memtest+ test ...

This is the second a1sai-2550f with this problem ! I returned my previous motherboard and bought a new one from a different online shop.

Tested with different PSU. Tested with each RAM or both plugged. (I have no other memory compatible to test).

What do you think ? Should I buy new RAM ? I'm stuck ...

Last edited:

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Sufficient airflow? On my Supermicro Avoton board I have a 6cm Notua fan strapped to the CPU-cooler using zip ties.

Power supply connected correctly? See Page 2-19 in the manual.

TeChn4K

Dabbler
I just finished to build hardware in my Fractal Node 304 case. The case is still open.
My board have no CPU fan, passive cooling only. But BIOS is not supposed to stress the CPU, isn't it ?...
All fans case are connected to the PSU directly. I will try with fans case connected to the mobo.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Does the CPU cooler get warm or even hot? Don't forget proper grounding when touching components.

The board doesn't have a CPU fan. Because of that and because the airflow in a Node 304 doesn't reach the board (behind the PSU) I attached a Noctua to the passive cooler.

And you did follow Note 1 on page 2-19 of the manual?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
To be honest: I can't tell for sure if I saw a single crash before I attached a fan to the CPU heat sink. I assembled my system in December and we are used to room temperatures not higher than 18°C during Winter.

But: The heat sink of my A1SAi-2750F got warm enough during initial tests that I didn't dare to run a serious load test like prime95 before having a fan attached.

If others have more/better ideas what might be going wrong ...

TeChn4K

Dabbler
Thank you for your replies.

4-pin DC power was plugged. I follow the note on page 2-19 and unplugged it...
From IPMI, CPU temp: 39°C. All others temp sensors are lower. SMBIOS events log is empty (only power up events).
Also, I connected fans case on the motherboard instead of PSU.

There is no change, motherboard restart unexpectedly on BIOS config after ~4min (or "no boot media found" page, or "boot media select" page ...).
Two A1SAI-2550F have the same issue. The only common component was the 2 Kingston KVR16LSE11/8HB.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Was the watchdog enabled in the BIOS? For obivous reasons, memtest can't ping the watchdog to keep it from rebooting the system.

TeChn4K

Dabbler
I read on this forum that WatchDog can be painful. So .... I tried to disable WatchDog in BIOS and my system seems to be OK now ! Memtest86 run from 1 hour without any reboot.

I think I understand what WatchDog is, but I'm not sure to know what can be the consequence to disable it !
My system can freeze indefinitely ? My system can be damaged ? My system can enter in spontaneous combustion ?

What are the inconvenients to disable WatchDog on my motherboard ? (Or maybe only disable WatchDog Timer by the motherboard jumper ?)

Also, memory is the last and only component I didn't test. I do not have other memory for this motherboard.
May bad or incompatible memory be the problem ? I can RMA them if needed.

(Mine are Kingston KVR16LSE11/8HB model, @MrToddsFriends have KVR16LSE11/8KF)

Thank you very much for your advices.

TeChn4K

Dabbler
Was the watchdog enabled in the BIOS? For obivous reasons, memtest can't ping the watchdog to keep it from rebooting the system.
Cross post, look at my previous comment ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

TeChn4K

Dabbler
Great ! So I will leave WatchDog disabled.

But I asking me a last question : the motherboard reboot even in the BIOS configuration pages or any others states, not only during memtest86. I even had a reboot during Freenas install.
Is that WatchDog does not work at all on Supermicro motherboard ? Do you have good reading to advise me about this problem ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
the motherboard reboot even in the BIOS configuration pages or any others states
That's weird, but could easily be a bug (someone forgot to set it up just before boot, for instance).

I even had a reboot during Freenas install.
I can see that happening, but it's a bit weird.

Is that WatchDog does not work at all on Supermicro motherboard ?
It works, it just needs the OS to play along. If the OS says nothing, it'll reboot the system, that's what it's meant to do.

TeChn4K

Dabbler
I will ask to Supermicro support about this. I will keep you in touch.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
(Mine are Kingston KVR16LSE11/8HB model, @MrToddsFriends have KVR16LSE11/8KF)

Don't know if that makes any differences regarding to compatibility. The only disparities in the spec sheets (provided by Kingston) that stand out to me are:
Code:
                                      KVR16LSE11/8KF            KVR16LSE11/8HB
Maximum Operating Power (1.35V)       2.041 W                   1.56 W
SDRAM SUPPORTED                       Kingston (F-Die)          Hynix (B-Die)
Programmable CAS Latency:             11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6        5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Thermal Sensor                        Grade B                   With Integrated Onboard EEPROM

It seems to me that the HB variant is the successor to the KF variant. HB wasn't available at the time when I bought the components for my system. And there is only one vendor of the KF variant left in a popular German price comparison website.

TeChn4K

Dabbler
Thank you @MrToddsFriends
However, my system is working now I disabled WatchDog.
Memtest86 does not report any error and all is running good. Wait and see ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.