Suggestion / Recommendation for 10Gb SFP+ HBA on FreeNAS 9.X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one Supermicro set up that I am attempting to resurrect. Everything works great except, regardless of which version I try, it won't recognize the the Intel HBA in the chasis. The other network adapters are fine, but after seeing 10G networking I really want to get things pumping through an HBA.

I've read through the posts and I've grown tired of messing with thing. I was wondering what HBA would you guys recommend? I give up on the Intel!

Thanks.
Andy

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You seem to be confusing networking (SFP+) and storage (Host Bus Adapters).

Dear Eric:
Sorry, my bad on the nomenclature. This is a 10Gb SFP+ nic. There is a SFP+ switch that has storage and VMWare servers all connected, then a 1 gig interface to production. I can get the built in NICS to talk with no issues, but the Intel NIC says "unsupported" when it loads. The weird thing is we have the exact same thing running in production but FREENAS sees that Intel NIC with no issues. I have been reading the forum and it appears there are issues with INTEL Nics dropping. I'm tired of fighting this. I am just looking for someone running a 10Gb SFP+ NIC that works with no issues.

Thank you for your reply!
Andy

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
"Unsupported"? Sounds like it's complaining about the SFP+ module, so buy a compatible one.

yep. either that or it is a driver issue. i'm a windows guy so it will be fun to learn something new. I'm going to go buy something online, but while I am waiting I will open the "how do i load a driver in freebsd" can of worms.

Stryf

Dabbler
I had "unsupported module" type error when I inserted a Cisco sfp+ Short Range module into an Intel x520 and was fixed after adding an loader type tunable. There were several forums suggesting adding this: hw.ix.unsupported_sfp=1

Thanks man! i'll dig into this. I just got the ipmi password reset so I feel like I am on a roll!

I'm getting closer. I added the tunable, and the NICS show up in networking; however, when I configure an IP address the whole thing freezes. Still, we have this running in production so I know it can be done. Thanks for your help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.