SUGGESTION: Recent support button adjustment - link to forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I think including a bug feedback button in the package is great but perhaps more encouragement for seeking support, before just filing a bug report? There should either be a dedicated forums button, or at least the top of the bug report should suggest that people come to the forums first to ensure they've found a bug? Big red link? I don't know

Thoughts.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Jordan hinted that using the GUI to file the bug report, results in some hardware info being sent along with
it which is beneficial to the people dealing with the problem.
In the future, it may also give us certain hardware summary information (with your consent of course) that allows us to pinpoint problematic configurations without having to go 9 rounds in the trouble ticket to find that out.

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
You make an excellent point for sure, but you did ask for thoughts...;)

diskdiddler

Wizard
We'll only see them hammered with "bug reports" which is actually support requests. I'm probably an intermediate user at best and I've posted probably 200 times on these forums, I think, yet actual genuine issues / bugs or improvements I've thought of or encountered is less than 5 or 10. So ......... enticing users to avoid using the bug report system until a last resort, seems the sane way to handle this.

I mean if they want to get inundated be my guest but it feels like a potential waste of valuable time.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The devs might possibly see this as a temp inconvenience perm improvement kind of thing.
But you're right, they asked for it, didn't they.

D

dlavigne

Please create a feature request (that suggest some wording to add to this screen) and post the issue number here. We already have this request reminding users to search for existing tickets first, but it is useful to also remind users that bugs aren't the same as support, which is better handled in the forums.

diskdiddler

Wizard

diskdiddler

Wizard
This is the second or third time I've been told by a developer on the net (first time for FreeNAS) to specifically create a request in their bug tracking and feature system and they then go on to ignore what they've asked me to add, it's kind of baffling.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not trying to bash dlavigne, but that's her thing. She's not a developer and doesn't have significant influence with what features get added (or not). Even I wouldn't say I have "significant" influence.

dlavigne just wants people to put in a feature request if they want something. You definitely won't get what you never ask for. But sometimes you will. I've seen people post feature requests that were so awesome, solved some really painful problem with a simple and elegant solution, or had some idea that was so innovative it was mind boggling that nobody else had already thought of it. I've also seen some that were so stupid that I just has to shed a tear because I felt that mankind has no future.

It's hit and miss. Just look at my ticket history. I've had quite a few that were shot down. I've had quite a few that might be implemented.... someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.