Sudden "remove write protection" during copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladimirK

Dabbler
Left some ~400 Gigs overnight to copy from my PC to FreeNas server... In the morning, message was waiting for me "cannot copy to S:\folder, please remove write protection" and only 10 or so gigs passed before this error occured. I clicked "retry" - copying continues... Another error popped out later - same thing - click on "retry" button and everything continues... Im using Total Commander for copying files (run as admin)... Any ideas why "write protect" error occured? FreeNas 11.1

Thank you

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Left some ~400 Gigs overnight to copy from my PC to FreeNas server... In the morning, message was waiting for me "cannot copy to S:\folder, please remove write protection" and only 10 or so gigs passed before this error occured. I clicked "retry" - copying continues... Another error popped out later - same thing - click on "retry" button and everything continues... Im using Total Commander for copying files (run as admin)... Any ideas why "write protect" error occured? Thank you

What FreeNAS version are you on?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You'll have to look at Total Commander's logs to try to piece together what happened. I don't believe "please remove write protection" is an NT_STATUS code, but something may be lost in translation. The most common item that trips up these sorts utilities is the fact that currently you can't change the owner of a file to "BUILTIN\administrators" (because it's a group). You can work around this in robocopy by choosing not to copy ownership attributes.

VladimirK

Dabbler
You'll have to look at Total Commander's logs to try to piece together what happened. I don't believe "please remove write protection" is an NT_STATUS code, but something may be lost in translation. The most common item that trips up these sorts utilities is the fact that currently you can't change the owner of a file to "BUILTIN\administrators" (because it's a group). You can work around this in robocopy by choosing not to copy ownership attributes.

Thank you for your answer, i will post screenshot here if it continues and maybe we will find an answer in process so others can be aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.