Stripe RaidZ2 Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXAG26

Patron
Let's say I have a total of 16x 1TB drives (to keep the math simple).

Can I put 8x of those drives into a RaidZ2 "Vdev1" resulting in about 5.5 TB of usable space, and then put 8x more different 1TB drives into a RaidZ2 "vdev2", creating another 5.5 TB of usable space, and finally "stripe" vdev1 & vdev2 together to create a total usable space that shows up as one 11 TB device?

If so, do these options only show up in the GUI when you actually have the appropriate number of drives?

Fixed.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can I put 8x of those drives into a RaidZ2 "vdev1" resulting in about 5.5 TB of usable space, and then put 8x more different 1TB drives into a RaidZ2 "vdev2", creating another 5.5 TB of usable space, and finally "stripe" vdev1 & vdev2 together to create a total usable space that shows up as one 11 TB device?
With corrections in bold above, yes. You could do it in a single step, or create the pool with the first vdev and then extend it with the second. If you create two separate pools, though, you can't combine them.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can I put 8x of those drives into a RaidZ2 "Pool1" resulting in about 5.5 TB of usable space, and then put 8x more different 1TB drives into a RaidZ2 "Pool2", creating another 5.5 TB of usable space, and finally "stripe" Pool1 & Pool2 together to create a total usable space that shows up as one 11 TB device?
Yes, they're called vdevs.

You should be able to drag the sliding thingy in the GUI to make two rows of 8 drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.