Strange permissions issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crustacean

Dabbler
I made a post about this here but am reposing because i haven't really been able to get any help.
I have a domain controller that i am able to access my freenas share on, and but i have yet to be able to access it on any other machine/account. I cant even access the share from the administrator account on another machine.

Directory services is working. All of my domain accounts are listed in FreeNAS. I've tried using changing the permissions for each folder/the entire volume from the shell and havent had any luck. Ill even attach an image of the output of ls -lah that shows the owner is Domain\Administrator and the group is Domain\domain admins. The user and computer im trying to access the share from is a member of both the domain admins group and the administrators group.

I can read at \\freenas, but cannot access \\freenas\Volume_name from any machine other than my DC. Check out my other thread for more details.

Thanks everyone. again, sorry for reposting. Ive been messing with this for months. It sucks, i really love everything else about freenas. Id kill to get this working.

Attachments

• freenas.JPG
    freenas.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 231

Nick2253

Wizard
You can't access it because you're not trying to access it with a domain user. Make sure you are logging in to the FreeNAS share using [purple squiggle]\username, not [local machine]\username. The computer isn't a user in a domain. It doesn't matter what computer you are accessing it from.

The administrators group is irrelevant because it isn't the owner or group of the volumes you are trying to access.

Crustacean

Dabbler
i am accessing it as a domain user. Im logged into my domain control and i even typed out the domain.local\username in the username box. There are no local users here. everything is on the DC.

I just added the computer to the group to cover my bases since nothing else has worked.

Nick2253

Wizard
If you log in as domain\administrator can you access it?

I would strongly recommend you get a test setup of FreeNAS working in a VM. That way you can test this process using as close to a vanilla machine as possible. I've seen enough problems with Windows file access issue that ultimately were the result of a botched configuration that I'm pretty much forced to assume that this is the case here.

Crustacean

Dabbler
Nope. The share is only accessible from the DC, which is (probably not coincidentally) the first system i accessed the share with.
This has been the case for a while, even before i tried directory services. Prior to directory services, i tried making usernames that matched my windows users and logging in with those when windows prompted me. That never worked either.

Ill try a vm. Its kind of hard to recreate my environment in a VM though. What could i have messed up that would cause this? Freenas doesnt have that many settings, and i followed all of the documentation. The permissions for my volume are set correctly.

I find it strange that i cant even access the share using the administrator account from another PC. The DC is the only system it works on.

Nick2253

Wizard
Obviously the permissions for your volume are not set correctly, because you cannot access it.

Since this has been the problem since before you used directory services, hence the recommendation to try it in a VM. I'm not sure why it would be hard to recreate a FreeNAS environment in a VM. Create a couple virtual disks and create a RAIDZ array and now you're done. It doesn't have to be terabytes and terabytes of space.

When you create unix accounts, you need to match the username *and* password.

Crustacean

Dabbler
I matched both.
Thanks for the tip though, ill try it out in a VM and post about my results. Id hate to have to rebuild my installation, but id also like to have a backup server i can access ha.

Crustacean

Dabbler
Got it working pretty easily in virtual box, I'm able to connect from any user account in the domain admins group. Now to rebuild my nas, ugh. Too bad I cant save all my data (without copying it off), right? I might try reinstalling freenas and importing the volume first. But if that doesn't work, i'm just going to dump it.

Oh well, it works. Thanks Nick.

Edit: Woop! Everything works. I just restored to factory settings, imported my old volume, reconfigured AD, then created a new share.

Now to rebuild my cron jobs.

Nick2253

Wizard
Yay! I'm glad you got it resolved :)

Status
Not open for further replies.