SOLVED Strange issue with Samba/CIFS shares.

sapabt

Cadet
Having strange permissions problems. This is an full hardware upgrade running FreeNAS11.1-U5. The previous system worked great, but ran out of storage space. backed it up to the backups server, installed hardware, installed FreeNAS, set IP, loaded old config, deleted old zpool, created new zpool, copied data from Backups to this server. One share installed using SMB. No other users or shares needed, it's just me and the dog.

The System:
Code:
SuperMicro MBD-X10SL7-F-0
Intel Xeon E3-1231v3
Kingston KVR16E11K4/32 32GB (4x8GB) PC3-12800E DDR3 1600MHz ECC Unbuffered 240 Pin Memory

Boot: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Data Drives: 7@ Western Digital 2TB Red WD20EFRX in raidz2 configuration

Users and fstab's
Code:
user:
UID 1001
name: lordvega
GID: 1001

Laptop fstab:
//192.168.1.7/Jaelle /home/lordvega/Jaelle cifs defaults,users,user=lordvega,password=mypass,uid=1001,gid=1001,forcegid 	 0 0

Desktop fstab:
//192.168.1.7/Jaelle /home/lordvega/Jaelle cifs defaults,users,user=lordvega,password=mypass,uid=1001,gid=1001,forcegid 	 0 0

The client PC's connecting: Laptop and desktop both running Mint Linux KDE, Gaming rig running win10, HTPC running winxp. The normal user login/username across all machines is the same.

The symptoms.

Laptop (Mint). Root can read/write anywhere. non-root user, in a shell, can read/write everywhere. all shell scripts that access via normal non-root user appear to read/write fine. In Dolphin, the normal user can create and delete directories, but cannot create/write to files. In a browser (Firefox/Vivaldi), right-click on an image, click save, save fails. Writing this in Kate, save needs root privs, same for LibreOffice Writer.

All local file system read/writes are fine.

Desktop (Mint). Root user works fine. normal user can read, but cannot create anything. No directories or files can be created by the normal user.

HTPC (XP), can’t even login to map the share. Both regular user and root login return bad username/password. As soon as I enabled Guest access on the share, I can login (without a password), and read/write files.

Gamer (10), login as normal user, file read/write works normally.

The only thing I’ve done other than going through the server user config is to perform a chmod -R 0777 * . That enabled normal user read/write in windows and in the Linux shell scrips.

I’ve rebooted all boxen several times. Nothing has changed on the clients.

I’m not sure what to do next, I don’t have much more hair to pull out. :)

If I’ve missed any info please let me know and I’ll post it.

Cheers,
bt

sapabt

Cadet
Thanks M0nkey!

I'm getting old and blind. I knew that XP didn't speak SMB properly and I've been looking for the looked for the NTLMv1 setting for two days without seeing it. I finally saw it after watching your video. GAH! :)

Also followed the video, set up a new group/user/etc, all appears to be working as advertised.

A follow-on question, I read a long time ago that when running mixed Windows/Linux clients that it's best to just use SMB for all. Is this still best practice?

Cheers,
bt

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have a question that I think is related. I upgraded a system from 11.1-U5 to 11.1-U6 and the Windows clients can still see it fine, but the RedHat Linux clients don't see a share any more. Ideas?