Step by Step guide for NFS mounting (Ubuntu server -> TrueNAS plex jail)

shadowempire

Dabbler
Hi,
is there somewhere a beginners Step by Step guide for NFS mounting (Ubuntu server share -> TrueNAS plex jail mount point)?
thx in advance (I have already spent a couple of hours searching various forum)...
I have already tried it with smb... see https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/mount-issue.92882

My current problem is -->
On my TrueNAS plex jail:
root@plex:/mnt # showmount -e 192.168.1.158
Exports list on 192.168.1.158:
/mnt/ssd Everyone

root@plex:/mnt # mount 192.168.1.158:/mnt/ssd /mnt/boltssd
mount_nfs: nmount: /mnt/boltssd: Operation not permitted

On my Ubuntu server where I share a mount:
root@bolt:/home/plex# cat /etc/exports
/mnt/ssd 192.168.1.0/24 (rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

root@bolt:/home/plex# showmount -e 192.168.1.158
Export list for 192.168.1.158:
/mnt/ssd (everyone)

Mounting from another machine (Raspi) is working:
root@omv:/mnt# mount 192.168.1.158:/mnt/ssd /mnt/tmpssd
root@omv:/mnt# ls tmpssd/
Archiv appdata docker lost+found vpn

Last edited:

shadowempire

Dabbler
thx, but this is not helping.
I want to mount a nfs share which is on an ubuntu server to my truenas jail..

shadowempire

Dabbler
hmm. so I assume, it is not possible to mount another shared network mount on my truenas server.
8-/

it is not possible to mount another shared network mount on my truenas server.

I've had no issues mounting NFS shares between TrueNAS servers, and a TrueNAS NFS share to a Ubuntu VM. There's no reason why the reverse shouldn't work .e. a Ubuntu NFS share to a TrueNAS server.

One thing you may want to consider is matching UIDs between the Ubuntu and TrueNAS server for the mount to be successful. I vaguely recall having to do something like that.

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, the issue is that by default, you aren't allowed to mount filesystems within jails. I believe there's a checkbox in the jail options that would permit it. But sharing the files from a Ubuntu box to Plex on a TrueNAS jail seems backward--Plex runs better under Linux than FreeBSD, and TrueNAS is made for networked storage.

Aviatorpaal

Dabbler
No, the issue is that by default, you aren't allowed to mount filesystems within jails. I believe there's a checkbox in the jail options that would permit it. But sharing the files from a Ubuntu box to Plex on a TrueNAS jail seems backward--Plex runs better under Linux than FreeBSD, and TrueNAS is made for networked storage.
Great explanation by @danb35 - as always!