Status of openssh vulnerability CVE-2023-38408 in TrueNAS Core

VulcanRidr

Explorer
I was wondering about the status of this vulnerability, also FreeBSD advisory 887eb570-27d3-11ee-adba-c80aa9043978. Our security team is questioning whether it is vu;nerable because nessus is marking it as a critical. I know that iXsystems sometimes patches vulnerabilities in applications without updating the version, but I need to verify whether the ssh daemon has been patched and what the plans for it are.

Thanks,
--vr

samarium

Contributor
I suppose the first question is have you read the release notes for recent releases? Not much details on non TN issues tho, timing doesn't look promising.
Another question is do you forward ssh agent from the TN system at all? Especially a remote untrusted system?
I've always thought that indiscriminate agent forwarding was a bad idea.
Vulnerability scanners are useful, but if the conditions for vulnerability aren't met then there isn't a vulnerability, just a potential.
Seems like you could set ForwardAgent=no to disable functionality too, and I guess nessus would never know unless it runs locally and can inspect the configuration.

Last edited:

VulcanRidr

Explorer
I suppose the first question is have you read the release notes for recent releases? Not much details on non TN issues tho, timing doesn't look promising.
Another question is do you forward ssh agent from the TN system at all? Especially a remote untrusted system?
I've always thought that indiscriminate agent forwarding was a bad idea.
Vulnerability scanners are useful, but if the conditions for vulnerability aren't met then there isn't a vulnerability, just a potential.
Seems like you could set ForwardAgent=no to disable functionality too, and I guess nessus would never know unless it runs locally and can inspect the configuration.

I do read the release notes. TN13.0u5.3 was a hotfix for a corner case causing crashing on ZFS replication. Nothing was mentioned about the ssh vulnerability.

I do not have agent forwarding set up anywhere. I guess back in the day, it had it's purpose, if you were doing the same command on a number of hosts...But in 2023, there are many many better options...Ansible, SaltStack, Puppet, etc.

The problem with nessus is that unless you tell it to test for a specific vulnerability (which could cause breakage in many cases), it checks the version number against the "known good" version of the package. So having AgentForwarding set to no (which was the normal state of affairs) made no difference.

samarium

Contributor
You know the limitations of nessus, or any of the generic testers which don't really test but just classify, and are just a PITA for sysadmins vs security "automation".
You could verify the installed revision of openssh vs the patched version on freebsd, and the install date maybe.
You could look for updated text in the patch, and try to find it in the binary.
You could open a JIRA ticket to maybe get iX attention.