static routes don't persist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasquake

Cadet
I'm having connectivity problems which I believe are a problem with static routes.
This has been going on since FreeNAS 9 and until now (FreeNAS 11.0-U4).

My FreeNAS is assigned 192.168.0.10 and my desktop computer 192.168.0.11.
My desktop is also configured as an openVPN client and assigned 10.8.0.2 by an openVPN server which is at a different physical location and at 10.8.0.1.

My FreeNas is configured with static route as follows:
upload_2017-11-10_11-29-44.png

Static routes are also set up on my desktop.

The problem: The connection between the openVPN server and FreeNAS is dropped every couple of days (more or less). I know the VPN tunnel is intact, because the desktop and the OpenVPN server can reach each other. Only FreeNAS is inaccessible. The connection is restored when (and only when) FreeNAS is rebooted.

Is this a bug in FreeNAS? I couldn't find anything other than here: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/1420

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasquake

Cadet
No, I keep losing connectivity (and have to reboot FreeNAS every time)...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

Please create a report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

fsfsfs

Dabbler
We are suffering from this too. Similarly to OP, our FreeNAS box has two static routes set via the web interface to class C subnets behind a common VPN gateway (which happens to run on the NAS as well, in a jail). This works well for days, sometimes weeks, and every now and then the two static routes are dropped. When I re-add them (using SSH and the `route` command) everything works again.

nas-routes.png

Could maybe an ICMP packet make FreeBSD drop a static route?

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

I don't think anyone has made a bug report yet. Please create one and post the issue number here.

Status
Not open for further replies.