SSH login failures

apel

Dabbler
Recently I get daily alerts like

Sep 19 00:35:34 Glaris sshd[57197]: Failed password for "user" from 192.168.147.100 port 3872 ssh2

I get an alert every two hours, every days at exactly the same times.

"user" is a windows domain admin and wheel group
Glaris is FreeNAS-11.3-U5
the IP is my backup ADDC (W2008)

everything seems to be working fine, the various overnight backups and cron jobs are all running fine.

Removing this IP from the Nameserver 2 did not make it go away.

How do i find out what is generating these alerts?

Any help appreciated.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It sounds like there's a problem on whatever device is at 192.168.147.100, trying to SSH with invalid credentials. This doesn't look like a TrueNAS problem in any way.

apel

Dabbler
This was my first reaction but I cannot find any trace of it in server at 192.168.147.100 event viewer. I don't understand why this Windows server needs to SSH to FreeNAS and why it would be denied credentials. Furthermore My primary ADDC does not generate a failure alert on FreeNAS.

I can login on FreeNAS and any Windows machines with "user" credentials

As everything else seems to be working as it should it not easy to debug. Is there a more detailed log on FreeNAS that could give me a clue to what is going on.

NugentS

MVP
You aren't running something like PRTG on the server are you?
Some sort of network scanner?

apel

Dabbler
Ah yes thank you for asking. I have Spiceworks on this server. However the SSH credentials test says it can connect to freeNAS so perhaps it is not that.

NugentS

MVP
It was all I could think of - I was getting something similar from PRTG

apel

Dabbler
I ran
% last -n10
"user" pts/5 192.168.147.100 Sun Sep 26 18:38 - 18:38 (00:00)

I am not sure what (00:00) means, connected or not?

apel

Dabbler
I think I understand why these alerts are generated, the clue was in the more detailed auth.log

Spiceworks SSH this command:
USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/local/sbin/lsof -nP +c0 -i4TCP Sep 28 13:54:51 Glaris sshd[77336]

by default FreeNAS refuses SSH from user root.

After supressing Spiceworks auto update for Glaris (FreeNAS) the Alerts stopped.

Thank you all

sretalla