SOLVED SSD TRIM with LSI HBA and/or PCIe SSDs?

sotiris.bos

Explorer
Hey everyone! I just got a DELL R720xd to upgrade from my R710.

I am planning on adding some SSDs to be used as an iSCSI target for a new hypervisor system I am working on.

I have come across many people that have problems with TRIM with LSI HBAs.

I am planning on flashing the H310 mini mono (LSI SAS2008) to IT firmware and using that with the R720xd backplane. I am planning on having both HDDs and SSDs on the same backplane. The backplane also has a SAS expander. I am mentioning all this since I don't know if they might cause any problems or not.

I have read that TRIM is supported on LSI HBAs only with SSDs that support RZAT or DRAT but I have no idea which SSDs do.

I am also curious if TRIM is supported on PCIe SATA or NVMe SSDs. I will consider going with PCIe SSDs if a normal 2.5" SATA solution with TRIM is not feasible or cheap enough.

Please advise.

sotiris.bos

Explorer
Thank you so much for the answer!

I assume you mean M.2 SATA or NVMe, but yes, both support trim.
I mean PCIe drives or M.2 drives adapted to PCIe as the R720xd does not have any M.2 slots. Does the system need to have support for some protocol or function or does it just work?

sotiris.bos

Explorer
M.2 SATA drives won't work with a PCIe adaptor, they will work with an adapter that's also a SATA controller, M.2 NVMe devices work with the adapter.

You are absolutely right! This was a big oversight from me and it did not even cross my mind. Thank you!