SSD needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingPersian

Patron
Hi
I bought a SSD as a system drive as it was recommended in a german NAS forum. But then I learned that a USB stick is more commenly used as a system drive. Right now I'm using an old USB stick of 2GB and the SSD is encrypted and used as a ownCloud drive.
Does it make sense to get rid of the SSD? I'm planning to buy 3 WD Red 4TB drives and run them in a RAID5. Should I just create a dataset within the RAID for the ownCloud and save the SATA connection? Or leave it as it is? What is your recommendation?

Edit: Also should I get a new (cheap) USB stick or is mine good enough? It's about 5 years or so old, but still does the job.

warri

Guru
You need an USB stick with at least 4GB, and use a brand name model - they will still be rather cheap.

Don't use hardware raid (RAID5) if you plan on using ZFS. Use ZFS Raid-Z1(/Z2) instead.
The SSD is useless in your scenario.

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
It'll probably be fine. Remember to keep a backup of your config just in case it dies. I swear by kingston and sandisk myself.

Durandal

Explorer
I'm a pretty new FreeNAS user but i'm using an Intel 330 60GB SSD as a jail/plugin/syslog disk with very good results. Nowdays SSD:s are so cheap that you can use them for fast storage of owncloud pictures and stuff like that. I really like the reliability of SSD:s also.

warri

Guru
Yes, the normal drives should be fine for pictures and the like. If you have any I/O heavy jail, they might profit from a fast SSD, but I wouldn't know any example for that right now. Obviously using the USB stick would be a bad idea ;)
Plus if you only use a single SSD there is no redundancy for your data.

FlyingPersian

Patron
Well that's the question. Some say use an USB, that's the most common, others say use a SSD. Is there a significant difference between SSD and USB in this case?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.