SSD freenas-boot zpool data corruption ?!?

Pierce

Explorer
I've had a bunch of problems with USB sticks on my HP Microserver N40L since 11.2 came out, on redmine, someone suggested using a small SATA SSD as my boot device, so I ordered a Sandisk 120GB SSD Plus from Amazon, got it today, hooked it up to the mobo, and did a clean install of 11.2-U1 to it, then restored my config. do a scrub of the boot device and its showing 21 corrupted files, and about 100 checksum errors. yet, no CAM errors in DMESG

grrrrrr. I've ordered a different brand (Crucial BX300), and will return this one, but yuck.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sandisk 120GB SSD Plus
These drives have some kind of firmware or chipset problem that makes them not work properly with FreeNAS. I have seen a lot of users have problems with them. The only ones that I know for sure work well, because I have used them, are the Intel, almost any model and these Kingston ones:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingston-S...Solid-State-Drive-SV300S37A-120G/123607529487
I have a couple servers at work that are running on those Kingston drives for a couple years with no trouble and I have these Intel drives in some other servers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-320-Series-120GB-MLC-SSD-SATA-3Gbps-2-5-SSDSA2BW120G3H/163497391214

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Pierce

Explorer
p.s. my very first SSD was a kingston and it suffered random bit rot through most of its short life til I realized it was junk.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
indeed, but that's an obsolete model, and is a used ssd, and i'm sorry, a used ssd to me is like a used condom. I couldnt find any new intel SATA ssds for less than $200.
Modern SSDs have enough endurance to last a decade or more. It is nothing like a condom. That's just crazy talk. I would understand if it was a business and procedures of the business don't allow for buying on eBay but even where I work, we are able to take advantage of good deals on previously used equipment.

Last edited: