Spurious "ZFS filesystem version is out of date"

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hi all,

anyone else seeing this?
Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-02 um 22.50.32.png
Code:
root@freenas2-pmh[~]# zpool upgrade
This system supports ZFS pool feature flags.

All pools are formatted using feature flags.

Every feature flags pool has all supported features enabled.

12.0 BETA

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
There is no spoon - see the code above in my post. All pools are at the latest version.

Just tried zpool upgrade freenas-boot; zpool upgrade hdd - system told me the same.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Er ... *flabberghasted* ... what is zfs upgrade?

When you become confident you know something ...

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I read the manpage and I am none the wiser. What is the ZFS on-disk version in contrast to the pool version? Is this new, i.e. an OpenZFS on FreeBSD thing?

Yorick

Wizard
I am getting the same message but thought it was feature flags, as my pool will remain in an 11.3 state until 12.0 is a bit more mature. Clearly, not feature flags.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Best I understand is that there are features for the pool, and features for the filesystem. zpool upgrade handles the former; zfs upgrade the latter.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's something like that, except that the Filesystem version hasn't changed in a decade or something to that effect. I'm curious to know if that's really what's going on here, because I haven't heard anything about a new Filesystem version.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I don't know if this will shed any light, but scanning the source for OpenZFS's zfs command at https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/blob/master/cmd/zfs/zfs_main.c, lines 2421-2437 shows this table:

Code:
The following filesystem versions are supported:

VER  DESCRIPTION
---  --------------------------------------------------------
1   Initial ZFS filesystem version
2   Enhanced directory entries
3   Case insensitive and filesystem user identifier (FUID)
4   userquota, groupquota properties
5   System attributes

For more information on a particular version, including supported releases,
see the ZFS Administration Guide.

However, on my 11.3-U3.2 system, zfs upgrade shows all filesystems are already on version 5. So is there a version 6 on deck?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
1. I cannot reproduce the issue right now, state on both systems:
Code:
This system is currently running ZFS filesystem version 5.
All filesystems are formatted with the current version.

2. At least the alert message is bogus, hinting at the pool instead of the datasets. This is the text I got via email alert:
* ZFS filesystem version is out of date. Please consider upgrading it. See Upgrading a ZFS Pool for details.

3. It seems to be correlated to datasets that are being replicated. On the receiving side. The alert was cleared once the replication finished.
While the alert was active zfs upgrade told me that one dataset was version 4. That was last night before going to sleep, I don't have the message verbatim, sorry.

Kind regards,
Patrick

diskdiddler

Wizard
I just started getting this error tonight - I specifically initiated a manual full, SMART test - could it be that?
I've been on RC1 for 3 or 4 weeks - first time I've seen it.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Are you running any replication tasks? It happend for me only when a replication was in progress ...