Specific replication path doesn't work

MikeyG

Patron
I'm not sure exactly how to phrase this, but I've noticed that snapshot replication tasks need to have the parent dataset in the destination.

For example if I have:

vol1/VMs/Active and I want to replicate it to Backup. The snapshots are not recursive. I have /vol1/VMs/Active selected and pointed to Backup/Company1 in the replication task.

On Backup it creates Backup/Company1/VMs/Active

However, if I want to end up with Backup/Company1/Active (skips the VMs dataset) it won't work. If I point it to Backup/Company1/Active then it complains that the "dataset does not exist." It tries to find it under Backup/Company1/Active/VMs/Active which of course is not there.

Any suggestions? Or am I just asking for something that is not supported or not recommended? I could understand if replicating a parent dataset it would need to re-create the structure of all child dataset's underneath on the target, but what about being specific for replicating one dataset's specific snapshots to another specific location.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
Hey there,

The Active dataset is nested under VMs, this is why it adds /VMs/Active to your backup dataset named Company1. For example, If you had a another dataset under VMs named LAB, after snapshot and replication, it would be Backup/Company1/VMs/LAB.

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
Also, unless the parent dataset is setup with periodic snapshots, you are not replicating the parent. Just the dataset you have snapshots running on. Maybe just setup the snapshot task for VM's and then make it recursive. Depends on your setup, use case, and preference though.