[solved] FreeNAS crashing ... whats the Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe5k

Dabbler
Hi guys,

i´ve configured the following system:

Board: Intel S5000VSA with 2xXeon 5120
RAM: 10GB FBDIMM ( 2x 4GB + 2x 1GB)
HDD: 10 x 2TB SATA
Software: FreeNAS-9.2.1.6-RELEASE-x64 (ddd1e39) on an 8GB USB-thumbdrive
Volume: ZFS on RAID-Z2 with all 10 HDDs each 2TB

On this Volume i shared 2 iSCSI-Volumes for Server 2008.
In the Beginnig everything works fine. I copied about 2 TB Data on the Volumes without problems.
After a few days i had to copy about only 80GB Data in 100K files an the System crashes and reboots.
I started to copy again .... same thing. It copies about 20-30 GB Data the crashes and reboots.

In the logfile (/var/log/messages ) i can´t see anything unusual.
So, has anyone an idea why it crashs?
Where can i look for errors or anthing else useful information?!?

Thanks in advance!
Moe5K

krikboh

Patron
Your motherboard only has 6 SATA ports. How are your drives connected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prime03

Dabbler
I'm having a similar issue right now with my system.

6x2TB drives in a raidZ2, 24gigs on ddr3 non ECC

I set up an iSCSI zvol, and while backing up to it from a windows machine, freenas crashes around ~50gigs.

I am using non-ecc ram, so I feel like I'm asking for trouble here. I'm currently running memtest.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You should be testing your system to make sure it is stable BEFORE you start trying to put data on it. There is a doc on building and burning in FreeNAS in the h/w forum and also a sticky on HDD testing.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your are right! I added extra 4-port Fasttrack SATA-Controller.

That's not a very reliable thing you have there...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What Ericloewe said. I'd *never* try to use one of those in FreeNAS. They work fine in Windows, but not so much in FreeBSD. I wouldn't be surprised if you bought something like an M1015 and your crashes went away.

Prime03

Dabbler
After a clean memtest I decicded to try backing up to an iSCSI file extent rather than a device extent and the crashing went away.

Last edited:

Moe5k

Dabbler
You should be testing your system to make sure it is stable BEFORE you start trying to put data on it. There is a doc on building and burning in FreeNAS in the h/w forum and also a sticky on HDD testing.
I´ve read your post and i am not complete new in building Servers but it´s my 1st FreeNAS.
The Data on the System are not important ... it´s not already a production-system.
Your describe a lot of tests ... i knew them but i think also i should be possible to log specific system-errors for helping troubleshooting.
Even when all tests are successfully next day could be a problem with any component...
So i will say i can´t test a system for a month or two ...
anyway... thx for your post!

Moe5k

Dabbler
That's not a very reliable thing you have there...
Yes, i know but the i thought if there a problem with the controller i have any kind of messages in the logs or on stdout ...
nothing.
Before ist used this controller i tryed to use 2 "Intel RAID Controller SRCS16" controller.
These ars in the Hardwarelist (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/hardware.html#DISK)
I had a lot of problems with these Intel-Controllers but no system-crash!
There where time-out messages on stdout and the performance was yery poor ... so i changed to that actual config and had no
messages no performanceproblems even with stresstests ....
Also today i copied 300-400 GB from the system without problems ... but the next crash will come .. i know.

If nothing helps i will use only the onboardcontroller and throw the fastrtack away...

thx for your post!

Moe5k

Dabbler
What Ericloewe said. I'd *never* try to use one of those in FreeNAS. They work fine in Windows, but not so much in FreeBSD. I wouldn't be surprised if you bought something like an M1015 and your crashes went away.

The intension for using FreeNAS for me was to reuse older hardware. So all components are used except the harddrives.

If it´s absolutly necesseary i will buy such a controller but first i would like to know that this is the problem...

I think do you have good experience with the M1015?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The M1015 has eight channels, two SAS wide ported SFF8087. It can support up to eight drives directly.

Moe5k

Dabbler
The M1015 has eight channels, two SAS wide ported SFF8087. It can support up to eight drives directly.
yes, i´ve read this 1 minute after my post and that´s why edited my post 1 minute later

Moe5k

Dabbler
Lol...Are you joking? I was just sharing my experience after having a similar issue as you... it's a thread of discussion.
No Joke... Experience is Good But you Mix IT With the discussion of my issue...

Moe5k

Dabbler
Hi,

I started for running a memory test (www.memtest86.com).
So, i ran the memtest over the whole weekend ... everything is fine with the memory.
I think the next check is about the Fasttrack-sata-controller....

Is it generally possible to "mix" hdd-controller or do i have to use only one kind of them in one system?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Normally you can mix and match to your heart's content. But that controller still isn't on my "I'd trust it on FreeBSD" list.

Status
Not open for further replies.