Solaris compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two parts.

First (and I asked this a long time ago and remember the answer I got then; but I want to confirm it hasn't changed). Is it hopeless, optimistic, or safe to import a ZFS pool currently running on Solaris (SunOS 5.11 snv_134, rather old; zpool version 22) into FreeNAS (say, by booting the old box with the disks in it from a FreeNAS thumb drive, and telling it to import the pool)? Is read-only "safe" in that it won't misread the data? (I'm working towards migrating that box to run FreeNAS finally, and wondering how best to preserve the data. Whatever I try, it will be backed up multiple times first, I promise. It's not so huge that migrating over the network or to/from USB backup drives takes weeks, just many hours.)

Second, doing zfs send from my Solaris box, receive on FreeNAS, I'm getting lots of these (each snapshot, I think):

cannot receive sharesmb property on zzback/fsfs-backup/fsfs/zp1/lydy/lydy: permission denied
cannot receive quota property on zzback/fsfs-backup/fsfs/zp1/lydy/lydy: permission denied​

The first I presume is because, since SMB isn't in the kernel on FreeNAS, the export isn't so deeply integrated into ZFS? And this is harmless (except that, if I want to export the share, I need to use FreeNAS admin GUI to do so)?

But what about the second? Probably just curiosity; while I remember setting some quotas, I don't count on them for anything important, and if they're just lost, no real problem. Anything I should worry about, or is it just shedding config for features present in Solaris not present in FreeBSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.