So how would this have ended with ZFS?

Redcoat

MVP

Whattteva

Wizard
Agreed!
It was crystal clear from my early 2014 reading here, allowing me, too, to know it from the start.
Actually, that level of forum clarity and "brutal frankness" was what tipped me over the edge on choosing FreeNAS as my NAS platform, a decision I have not questioned until the arrival of SCALE and the attendant doubts about the future support of FreeBSD-based Core.
Yeah, this is really why I'm not a big fan of SCALE. Cause though ixSystems' current official position is "CORE is not going away", that doesn't mean that it won't ever change in the future. Also, I have heard that line far too many times in the past when x company releases a new product B and says "don't worry, product A isn't going away" and fast forward 5+ years later "Oh yeah, product A is going to end of life now that product B is feature-complete and stable enough etc etc.". Anyways, while Linux is great for desktop use, I hate it on servers and when the day comes that they abandon FreeBSD, I'm either jumping to another product or just going to migrate to a vanilla FreeBSD install.

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
Another Cyberjock victim? :smile:
I don't think he was that bad, to be honest. A bit too frank maybe and kinda' misleading with ECC thing, but he was preaching good practices and I think he meant well, even if the method of delivery may have needed to be adjusted a bit.

John Doe

Guru
oh wow that triggered hard xD

eventhou it might be a click bait title. The content is not too bad for someone raising questions as thread starter did.