smbd crashing on heavy use

marvin

Dabbler
Hi Marvin, the debug file does not contain the core file. Do you mind uploading the core file as well? Thanks.

Apologies, I'd not realised, although it should have been obvious by the size :/ It's there now.

Also, I didn't get notified of your post to this thread for some reason. Lucky I checked back!

TidalWave

Explorer
Did this ever get solved? We have a system that sometimes crashes under heavy use.

marvin

Dabbler
Nope. The ticket (36098) is still open but there seems to be no urgency to fix it. I assume this means that it's not a common problem but that there is something very particular about how I have things configured that is triggering the crashes.

I've worked around it mostly by staggering backups throughout the night. They fail with the crash about 25% of the time now, so I usually have a backup that's at most 2 days old. It's less than ideal, but I use this for home stuff so the only person I have to answer to is my wife if it all goes wrong :)

As a side note, I attempted to go to 11.2 to see how I fared, but the upgrade was a disaster - I had a mixture of the FreeBSD bootloader failing to work and a motherboard failure - this had me massively confused for a while until I realised the hardware was dying. After rebuilding my system back on 11.1-U7 from backup and, for some reason, having to recover all my data from snapshots (thank you past-me for setting up an amazing snapshot schedule!), I was still faced with exactly the same issue.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Nope. The ticket (36098) is still open but there seems to be no urgency to fix it. I assume this means that it's not a common problem but that there is something very particular about how I have things configured that is triggering the crashes.

I've worked around it mostly by staggering backups throughout the night. They fail with the crash about 25% of the time now, so I usually have a backup that's at most 2 days old. It's less than ideal, but I use this for home stuff so the only person I have to answer to is my wife if it all goes wrong :)

As a side note, I attempted to go to 11.2 to see how I fared, but the upgrade was a disaster - I had a mixture of the FreeBSD bootloader failing to work and a motherboard failure - this had me massively confused for a while until I realised the hardware was dying. After rebuilding my system back on 11.1-U7 from backup and, for some reason, having to recover all my data from snapshots (thank you past-me for setting up an amazing snapshot schedule!), I was still faced with exactly the same issue.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
I'll try to look into your bug again this week. I've just been juggling a lot of tickets. Were you able to try on 11.2-U2.1 (asking because this is a newer Samba version).

marvin

Dabbler
I'll try to look into your bug again this week. I've just been juggling a lot of tickets. Were you able to try on 11.2-U2.1 (asking because this is a newer Samba version).
Thanks anodos. I do understand that you have prioritise, hence my assumption that my problem is not widespread.

w/r/t 11.2, unfortunately not. Due to the upgrade failure, I built 11.2 from scratch and restored the 11.1-U7 backup to it but there were too many broken things, namely old warden jails, for me to continue. I decided I didn’t have the appetite or the time to work through getting everything up and running again on 11.2 so I rolled back.

I’d like to try again, but I’m afraid it won’t be any time soon. Too much other stuff going on and the missing data that had to be restored from snapshots on my zpool got me jittery about the whole thing!

TidalWave

Explorer
The SMB service seems to crash when copying between datasets. We are on 11.0 stable.

We use MACs to perform the copy. I'm wondering if everything should be put into one big tank and then managed via a windows ACL.

Actually, this might be something else. Maybe driver related. We have a 40GigE port to a Dell Switch. Sometimes the network stack in the FreeBSD will stop working. So we can't even ping the freenas from any computer. We are suspicious that this might have something to do with the new iMac Pro's 10Gig built in ethernet. That one system is giving us problems, we can't get it to connect via SMB. We are thinking that it might be causing the network stack to crash. So we have removed it from the equation and will continue to monitor the system and see if it crashes again.

Last edited: