SMB - what's the current best practice ?

atakacs

Explorer
I've been away from the TrueNAS scene for a while but I am back with a setup running v11.3 U5 that has issues connecting to SMB shares from a Windows 2019 server.

Browsing (admittedly) rapidly through the forum indeed returns a significant amount of issues with SMB, but apparently mostly related to v12.
What is is the current status and what are the current best practices in the matter ? Any pointer / KB most welcome !

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I think SMB is used by ~80% of our userbase so by default many issues start as SMB issues. How to configure depends on context, goals, environment.

In the big picture what you want to do is:
1) create a dataset (SMB type)
2) create one or more users
3) create a share pointing to the dataset.

Dataset should have a named entry (not group@) pointing to the group builtin_users with permissions set FULL_CONTROL and inherit set to INHERIT (if you are a home user). Use the user you made in (2) to authenticate to the share.

Many people advise stripping ACLs, and various other steps before actually figuring out what issues are. This tends to make a mess of things. It's better to figure out what the issue is and then fix it.

The most common issues I've seen is:
1) user has cut feet out from under himself by altering permissions of parent directories / datasets of the dataset they are sharing out in a way that prevents the SMB user from traversing to the share.
2) user is not authenticating with the credentials they think they are. (authentication log can currently be browsed by viewing output of midclt call smb.status AUTH_LOG | jq