SMB Sharing VFS Objects

Theapplefuture

Dabbler
Hello everybody,

Some background first. I have a FreeNAS Server setup with 11 drives in a RAID-Z3 configuration. I set up a SMB share to copy all files on my NAS and since not everyone should have read access to all files I set up a ACL (and gave a created admin user ownership) and then tweaked all the file's permissions by disabling the inheritance and giving read access to some files for some users via the Windows Explorer.

Now on Superuser someone mentioned that since my SMB share only has the following VFS Objects (ixnas, streams\_xattr) I did not set up the SMB share correctly (?). At least someone said that to me.

The same user said I'd need zfs\_acls as a VFS Object which should, according to the official FreeNAS Documentation provide "ACL extensions that Samba requires for proper integration with ZFS".

now to my question - did I set up the SMB share wrong ? But more importantly, are my Files still protected by ZFS ? The thing which scares me a little is the absence of zfs\_acls and the proper integration with ZFS that brings it.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello everybody,

Some background first. I have a FreeNAS Server setup with 11 drives in a RAID-Z3 configuration. I set up a SMB share to copy all files on my NAS and since not everyone should have read access to all files I set up a ACL (and gave a created admin user ownership) and then tweaked all the file's permissions by disabling the inheritance and giving read access to some files for some users via the Windows Explorer.

Now on Superuser someone mentioned that since my SMB share only has the following VFS Objects (ixnas, streams\_xattr) I did not set up the SMB share correctly (?). At least someone said that to me.

The same user said I'd need zfs\_acls as a VFS Object which should, according to the official FreeNAS Documentation provide "ACL extensions that Samba requires for proper integration with ZFS".

now to my question - did I set up the SMB share wrong ? But more importantly, are my Files still protected by ZFS ? The thing which scares me a little is the absence of zfs\_acls and the proper integration with ZFS that brings it.
The person on superuser is wrong. Both modules interact with ZFS ACLs. In a way ixnas is more directly manipulating them as it uses the native FreeBSD ACL API directly rather than passing through libsunacl.
then tweaked all the file's permissions by disabling the inheritance
Why disable inheritance?

Theapplefuture

Dabbler
The person on superuser is wrong. Both modules interact with ZFS ACLs. In a way ixnas is more directly manipulating them as it uses the native FreeBSD ACL API directly rather than passing through libsunacl

sorry to ask again, but that means I‘m good and that my files are indeed saved by ZFS, right ?

Why disable inheritance?
Because some folders may be accessed by a user but not all files should be visible and those that are can be edible (but not the folder itself or most of the files inside but still some)
This doesn’t not course any problems to the file protection by ZFS, does it ?