SMB sharing in Scale..

WB3FFV

Dabbler
I know this is still a work in progress, and at the moment I am running the latest Master release from Dec 25th. I am trying to setup a test Scale system to handle all the functions of my current TrueNAS Core box, so I can test and get ready to use Scale when it releases.

Trying to configure a couple shares, I can see they have for sure made some changes to the configuration screens for SMB shares. When I create a share, it shows with permissions for a "User Obj" and a "Group Obj" which to me would indicate I could define and object to cover multiple things and call it, but I see no place to do this. If I just try and mount an SMB share to a Windows 10 machine with the default settings, then it fails, so I had to go change them to my user and group id to make it work.

Is there any information or document anyplace that will explain the correct way to configure up shares in Scale, as at the moment I am left scratching my head..

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I know this is still a work in progress, and at the moment I am running the latest Master release from Dec 25th. I am trying to setup a test Scale system to handle all the functions of my current TrueNAS Core box, so I can test and get ready to use Scale when it releases.

Trying to configure a couple shares, I can see they have for sure made some changes to the configuration screens for SMB shares. When I create a share, it shows with permissions for a "User Obj" and a "Group Obj" which to me would indicate I could define and object to cover multiple things and call it, but I see no place to do this. If I just try and mount an SMB share to a Windows 10 machine with the default settings, then it fails, so I had to go change them to my user and group id to make it work.

Is there any information or document anyplace that will explain the correct way to configure up shares in Scale, as at the moment I am left scratching my head..
ACLs in SCALE for SMB are currently a WIP. They need to be made compatible with FreeBSD ACLs, which is a rather large undertaking and dev focus is currently on 12.0 issues. You should be able to use a windows client to "fine-tune" ACLs with using the owner of the dataset using the Windows File Explorer ACL editor.

Ryan Haver

Dabbler
@anodos I just wanted to check in and see how SMB ACL management is coming along for TrueNAS SCALE. Is it still recommended on the 21.04 nightlies to connect with the dataset owner and use the Windows File Explorer ACL editor to fine-tune ACLs for SMB Shares? If so when do you think ACL management for SMB shares will be available in SCALE.

ornias

Wizard
@anodos I just wanted to check in and see how SMB ACL management is coming along for TrueNAS SCALE. Is it still recommended on the 21.04 nightlies to connect with the dataset owner and use the Windows File Explorer ACL editor to fine-tune ACLs for SMB Shares? If so when do you think ACL management for SMB shares will be available in SCALE.
Last time I heard initial work is progressing but is not fully implemented in 21.04.