SMB Share

hemi

Dabbler
I have set up an SMB share. I'm I have modified the ACL in windows so that certain users have read-only permission and some have ready only and write. My problem is I do not want the users to be able to delete or edit the files after they drop them in the folder. The only person I want to have delete or edit permissions is the owner, but when a file is placed in the folder it is not inheriting the owners of the folder as the owner of the file. The owner is the person who dropped the file into the folder. Any help on how to remediy this would be appreciated.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have set up an SMB share. I'm I have modified the ACL in windows so that certain users have read-only permission and some have ready only and write. My problem is I do not want the users to be able to delete or edit the files after they drop them in the folder. The only person I want to have delete or edit permissions is the owner, but when a file is placed in the folder it is not inheriting the owners of the folder as the owner of the file. The owner is the person who dropped the file into the folder. Any help on how to remediy this would be appreciated.
Add auxiliary parameter to share inherit owner = no.

hemi

Dabbler
That did not seem to work I copied the file from the user 1 who is a member of the group that has access to read and write but the file is still showing ownership of user 1 and not changing ownership to the owner of the parent folder.

hemi

Dabbler
TY so much I am now seeing the owner on the File I changed it to inherit owner = Yes and now the owner of the parent folder shows up. Now what I am running into is I want the user to have write permissions but not be able to Delete is this possible?

hemi

Dabbler
The problem I am having is when I go into advanced permissions in windows and try to uncheck the Delete Sub folders and Files it rechecks itself. All the other advanced permissions allow me to uncheck them except Delete Subfolders and Files

hemi

Dabbler
I also Tried this and still can not uncheck the Delete Sufolders and Files

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I also Tried this and still can not uncheck the Delete Sufolders and Files

Remove "zfsacl" vfs object and replace with "ixnas". Once you have done this restart the SMB service.

hemi

Dabbler
TY SO MUCH Anodos!!!!!!!! You are awesome. May I ask what this did?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
TY SO MUCH Anodos!!!!!!!! You are awesome. May I ask what this did?
It's a design feature, but its history is complicated and I probably need to fix it upstream. See commit e6a5f11865a55e9644292ae92e4a4b5ec0662ccd for where it was introduced.

I wrote ixnas (among other reasons) to more closely mimic Windows behavior.

Last edited: