SMB share setup and help

mattathost

Cadet
Hello,

Thank you for this community and resource. Starting my TrueNAS adventure.

Been working on setting up Windows Shares on a TrueNAS Mini XL+ for a week now. I've read through the Guide and some SMB forum posts. The videos that most match what i am seeing have been from the "Lawrence Systems" 11.3 Windows shares videos on youtube.

Here is what i've done thus far:
1. Set up 3 datasets. (Hardware, Software and Administrative)
2. Set up corresponding groups (Hardware, Software and Admin) Also created a "users" group for each new user added for their default group.
3. Added Windows Shares (SMB) called Hardware, Software and Administrative on each of their respective datasets.
4. Added the users to the groups for access they will need.
5. Matched up the ACL information from what i've seen in the documentation and videos.
sw acl.jpg
In this image i've applied the software group in the "File Information" left column. With that i am assuming that that becomes the authoritative group for the share. The Who < owner@ is set to it's default. I'm guess that allows owners access to their created content. Then the 2nd ACL is group@. I had assumed that that points back to the applied group in the left column and all users of said group will have those delineated permissions.

With that saved i can see the file share in Windows File Explorer just fine. But i cannot access it. Says i do not have permission. I then try drive mapping with any of the users in the software group and that will not work either.

Your help, suggestions and expertise would be most appreciated.

~matt

mattathost

Cadet
Anodos, thanks for your quick reply. Forgive the pic as crtl > insert was only getting part of the output text. shell acl output.jpg

mattathost

Cadet
Well, it is working after one of two things. My bad for introducing two variables.
1. I rebooted the Windows 10 PC that the matt user was trying to access from, but failing.
2. I moved the FreeNAS into it's production area, thus shutting down and rebooting.

Then the matt user account had access again.

I was removing the matt account temporarily from group membership on some shares so as to test out the permissions feature and structure. But seemingly, it took a while to propagate permissions back.

Would the lag of that be on the FreeNAS (TrueNAS Mini XL+) appliance side. Or the Windows Computer side? (There is no Active Directory at this moment, that will come later with new server hardware.)

Is there something that can be done to force propagation?

And my last question. Was there anything wrong in my ACL configuration pictured above?

Thanks again for your time and expertise.

mattathost

Cadet
although, this does keep happening for new SMB shares i am setting up. One will work while another seems stuck. Once again, with identical (corresponding) group and ACL settings.