SMB share is not accessible

I have about a dozen SMB shares but I am not able to access some of them. From a Windows 10 system I'll get an error of:
\\carbon\music is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

Other shares work just fine. I have configured Share & Filesystem ACL's the same on all the shares and datasets.

I enabled debug logging on the SMB service and here are the bits that stood out:

Code:
[2021/10/05 21:18:28.555763,  0, pid=48216, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)] ../../source3/modules/vfs_crossrename.c:36(conv_str_off_t_error)
  conv_str_off_t_error: \{100\}: Failed to convert to size. sizelimit must be expressed as integer without a suffix.
[2021/10/05 21:18:28.555793,  0, pid=48216, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)] ../../source3/modules/vfs_crossrename.c:77(crossrename_connect)
  crossrename_connect: : Invalid sizelimit configuration. Denying access to share.make_connection_snum: SMB_VFS_CONNECT for service 'music' at '/mnt/vol12-z2/music3' failed: Invalid argument

I don't have quotas turned on and the dataset has plenty of free space.
I am using AD and the permissions are set with AD users.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have about a dozen SMB shares but I am not able to access some of them. From a Windows 10 system I'll get an error of:
\\carbon\music is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

Other shares work just fine. I have configured Share & Filesystem ACL's the same on all the shares and datasets.

I enabled debug logging on the SMB service and here are the bits that stood out:

Code:
[2021/10/05 21:18:28.555763,  0, pid=48216, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)] ../../source3/modules/vfs_crossrename.c:36(conv_str_off_t_error)
  conv_str_off_t_error: \{100\}: Failed to convert to size. sizelimit must be expressed as integer without a suffix.
[2021/10/05 21:18:28.555793,  0, pid=48216, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)] ../../source3/modules/vfs_crossrename.c:77(crossrename_connect)
  crossrename_connect: : Invalid sizelimit configuration. Denying access to share.make_connection_snum: SMB_VFS_CONNECT for service 'music' at '/mnt/vol12-z2/music3' failed: Invalid argument

I don't have quotas turned on and the dataset has plenty of free space.
I am using AD and the permissions are set with AD users.
You have invalid auxiliary parameter set for cross rename sizelimit. This parameter breaks the SMB recycle bin and unfortunately was widely promoted on reddit. Remove it.

It's so obvious now that you point it out... <facepalm>

It's working fine now. Thanks!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
No problem. Looking at the message I could probably make it cleaner / clearer wherein the problem lies. I try to mostly handle obscure edge-case misconfigurations by logging to log.smbd rather than generating alerts. The problem here is to try to fail safely. When the cross-rename limit is unable to be parsed, we can't really place a safe default (because that may also be the wrong thing and result if files being accidentally deleted). Noisiest thing to do is to cut off access to share until admin fixes it.

GBillR

Contributor
You have invalid auxiliary parameter set for cross rename sizelimit. This parameter breaks the SMB recycle bin and unfortunately was widely promoted on reddit. Remove it.
In addition to being suggested in the TrueNAS User Guide, and as a tool-tip for the Export Recycle Bin option in the share properties.

Do you happen to know if the size limit parameter unnecessary now, or is there another way to implement it?

Thank you.

GBillR

Contributor
Just write the value as a number (no curly braces)
Thank you. I was tempted to try that, but saw this thread and thought the implication was that there was no correct way to make it work when you stated that this parameter breaks the SMB recycle bin. I appreciate the clarification.