SMB Permissions. I have read the walkthroughs..

Dude99

Cadet
So I have two accounts on the system. One for me and one for my wife. My wifes is for a windows system, I use a mac. The share is creted via SMB

I have created a group that we are both part of. I have also set all the permissions so we can both write to the two shares that I have created for the two data sets I have. However, my wife cannot write to any of the subfolders in my shared data set. I haveset the permissions multiple time, checking the recursively set permissions button,I have looked over every permission setting I can find, and I can't see anything wrong. If I log into the share via my mac usuing her name, the folder is also read only. So its definitely a server side permissions issue, not a client side one.

All the walkthroughs a tutorials people link to in the forums seem to show exactly what I have done, or are for a much much older version of Freenas....

-all help is appreciated,
-Dude99

Dude99

Cadet
Also, just tried mapping the drive using my credentials on her laptop, still can't write to the folder, wtf....

Dude99

Cadet
It seems that if I set the pool owner to nobody it won't let anyone copy, hence the last post, if I set it back to my account I can write

MrHans

Dabbler
1. Is it Windows ACL permissions set for the dataset?
2. What cannot be accessed, the main shared dataset or only other child datasets under it?

I also had permission issues for Windows after updates and I had to log in on a Windows machine as the dataset owner, and adjust the shares' permissions from the Propeties/Security tab. There you can allow read/write access for other users or "Everyone".

If it is an issue with child datasets, note that the parent dataset has to allow access as well, othewise you will not be able to access the child dataset no matter its own permission.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Are you using the default @group in the FreeNAS ACL editor? This should be changed to the group to which you both are members, and should be set for Full Control, recursive. On the dataset, the same group should be set with rw permissions, recursive.

Dude99

Cadet
AHA! @Samuel Tai that was it! I wasn't looking at the ACL settings. I'll have to read what exactly these actually are as supposed to the other permissions window. I had to change the group to my group and the set the inherit setting to inherit. Whatever that does..... Thank you so much