SMB & git - Interrupted system call error

mbrej

Cadet
I've been trying out FreeNAS, and comparing the performance of NFS and SMB. As a benchmark, I've been using git since the time some operations takes is quite dependant on latency.

My test has been to clone a large repository, then see what the performance is when checking out a commit that has lots of different files.

Using NFS there have been no issues, although as you might imagine changing the 'sync' option of the pool has quite an impact on how long the git operations take.

However, for SMB, I regularly get messages along the lines of:
git checkout HEAD~100 -f fatal: cannot create directory at 'path/to/directory': Interrupted system call
or
warning: unable to access 'some/folders/.gitattributes': Interrupted system call
or
warning: unable to unlink 'path/to/script.py': Interrupted system call

This issue happens on both ubuntu 18.04 and windows 10.

I tried copying a few large files on to the share on windows with no issues. Likewise 50000 small files copied over without complaint.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this issue? It seems odd that only git has issues, and normal file copying is fine.

Thanks, Matt

FreeNAS-11.3-U1
Currently running as a VM on Hyper-V for evaluation purposes
RAM: 8GB; 6 virtual Xeon 8170; virtual boot disk + virtual storage disk (SSD); 1 Gbe onboard intel NIC
Git windows: 2.11.0.windows.3; Git ubuntu: 2.17.1

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I've been trying out FreeNAS, and comparing the performance of NFS and SMB. As a benchmark, I've been using git since the time some operations takes is quite dependant on latency.

My test has been to clone a large repository, then see what the performance is when checking out a commit that has lots of different files.

Using NFS there have been no issues, although as you might imagine changing the 'sync' option of the pool has quite an impact on how long the git operations take.

However, for SMB, I regularly get messages along the lines of:
git checkout HEAD~100 -f fatal: cannot create directory at 'path/to/directory': Interrupted system call
or
warning: unable to access 'some/folders/.gitattributes': Interrupted system call
or
warning: unable to unlink 'path/to/script.py': Interrupted system call

This issue happens on both ubuntu 18.04 and windows 10.

I tried copying a few large files on to the share on windows with no issues. Likewise 50000 small files copied over without complaint.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this issue? It seems odd that only git has issues, and normal file copying is fine.

Thanks, Matt

FreeNAS-11.3-U1
Currently running as a VM on Hyper-V for evaluation purposes
RAM: 8GB; 6 virtual Xeon 8170; virtual boot disk + virtual storage disk (SSD); 1 Gbe onboard intel NIC
Git windows: 2.11.0.windows.3; Git ubuntu: 2.17.1
It might be a permissions issue. What are the ACLs on the path? If you're hosting a git repository on an SMB share, make sure that you configure the dataset to be case _sensitive_.