SMB Fails to start after upgrade to 8/26 nightly

zetabax

Dabbler
Hi there, after upgrading Scale beta with the nightly released on 8/26 I've ran into the following issue. Hoping someone can provide some guidance please.

Issue #1. SMB failed to start so after rebooting a couple times I decided to delete my SMB shares. I then restarted the SMB service with no luck. Error message is as follows. Error [EFAULT] net conf list [['net', '--json', 'conf', 'list']] failed with error: directory_create_or_exist: mkdir failed on directory /var/db/system/samba4/private/msg.sock: No such file or directory Unable to initialize messaging context!

Issue #2. I've got a test VM I need to delete but when i go to delete it, the gui kicks back the following error: CallError [EFAULT] Failed to delete dataset: cannot open 'tank1/Windows_10_1-jcsabq': dataset does not exist.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi there, after upgrading Scale beta with the nightly released on 8/26 I've ran into the following issue. Hoping someone can provide some guidance please.

Issue #1. SMB failed to start so after rebooting a couple times I decided to delete my SMB shares. I then restarted the SMB service with no luck. Error message is as follows. Error [EFAULT] net conf list [['net', '--json', 'conf', 'list']] failed with error: directory_create_or_exist: mkdir failed on directory /var/db/system/samba4/private/msg.sock: No such file or directory Unable to initialize messaging context!

Issue #2. I've got a test VM I need to delete but when i go to delete it, the gui kicks back the following error: CallError [EFAULT] Failed to delete dataset: cannot open 'tank1/Windows_10_1-jcsabq': dataset does not exist.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Its good to be clear on whether SCALE 21.06 worked as expected. If not, please try 21.06 and revert if needed.
SCALE 21.08 will be released this week...I would expect this is not a common problem, but if you see the same behaviour, then I would recommend a bug report, with all the system detail. If others are seeing the same issue, it's more likely to be a bug vs a local system issues.

zetabax

Dabbler
Thanks for the suggestions.

Question: if I backup all my settings and perform a fresh install, can I recover specific settings (i.e. Networking, Docker images, etc.) and leave the rest like SMB to default, or is it all or nothing. (I deliberately didn't mention storage pools because I can just import the pool)

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Downgrading is not something that gets regularly tested, so it is possible something may not come up immediately.

However, with care and snapshots, data should not be lost. 21.08 is this week, so that is the upgrade alternative. When you upgraded to 21.8 nightly, what release did you upgrade from?

zetabax

Dabbler
Thanks for your note!

When I initially built this server I started with a fresh install of 21.06 then upgraded to 21.07 using the nightly and the same to 21.08.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
OK... if your problem was directly between two nightly versions with no configuration changes, that is interesting.
Please document the specific nightlies.
Did the it happen immediately after update?
Can you rollback and confirm?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
If you're rolling the nightlies you may have to upgrade again. There were a couple of recent ones where system dataset got broken, which breaks SMB access (and many other things too, but SMB usually gets noticed first by users).