SOLVED smb: difference on sync windows vs linux

John Doe

Guru
hi folks, just wanted to clarify one setting:

ksnip_20201118-194410.png

snyc setting is set to standard, so it depends on software if async writes or not.

background story is, I recently switched from windows on my desktop to manjaro and I just got half of the speed without changing network/server/hardware.
So it must be in dependency of software on my desktop.

therefore the question, is the standard sync setting different from the os (for instance linux vs windows) client?

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
If I recall correctly, SMB writes by default are async, unless the application otherwise specifically requests sync writes.

My first guess would be an issue with the linux drivers for your network card. In order to rule out any network issues, I would recommend doing a network performance test between your desktop and a different system. There are a few different network testing programs out there. Make sure you're doing RAM-to-RAM in order to avoid any storage system bottlenecks.

If you set sync=disabled, does it make a difference?

John Doe

Guru
tried it out
Sync =always -> ~12mb/s
sync = disabled -> 52mb/s
standard -> 52mb/s

so it is not that setting causing low speeds.

Ok, back to linux community :D

KrisBee

Wizard
+1 For @anodos comment. @John Doe Don't know if your desktop is XFCE (thunar is file manager) or KDE Plasma (file manager is doplhin), but both will use gvfs in the background, as you can see in htop, when accessing smb shares. Using a mount command at the CLI or in /etc/fstab, or via systemd mount should get you close to saturating wirespeed on 1Gb ethenet.

John Doe

Guru
it is thunar on xfce.

i mount one part via fstab and another i mount via thunar gui.
just copied a file on both locations one after another and i dont see much difference (probably normal fluctuation)

copy to fstab mounted share via thunar 43MiB
copy to thunar mounted share via thunar 51MiB

fstab:
Code:
//192.168.0.119/qnap/9-Backup/Backup_Manjaro/   /mnt/Backup cifs credentials=/home/desktop/.smbpasswd,noperm 0 0