SMB "Access is denied" DFS error

clarknova

Explorer
FreeNAS 9.10-U1
FreeNAS 9.10-U6
FreeNAS 11.2-U3

I've listed three versions because we've had this problem back through at least these versions on this server. We have a zfs dataset that is shared via smb ("fs\cartoonmagic"). FreeNAS is connected to the Active Directory domain and multiple Windows clients are able to browse the share, read and modify files as expected with one exception: One of our Windows 7 clients is able to interact with files and folders on the share, except for one specific folder. Any user on this workstation attempting to open this specific folder gets the error "I:\production\wcsb\working_files is not accessible. Access is denied."

The permissions on this particular folder are the same as any other folder in the share. The folder is accessible from other client machines, just not this one. I've restarted the client machine and FreeNAS multiple times since the problem was reported.

I did find this in /var/log/samba4/log.smbd:

Code:
[2019/04/16 10:29:47.217023,  3] ../source3/smbd/msdfs.c:1063(get_referred_path)
  get_referred_path: |cartoonmagic| in dfs path \fs\cartoonmagic is not a dfs root.
[2019/04/16 10:29:47.217062,  3] ../source3/smbd/smb2_server.c:3195(smbd_smb2_request_error_ex)
  smbd_smb2_request_error_ex: smbd_smb2_request_error_ex: idx[1] status[NT_STATUS_NOT_FOUND] || at ../source3/smbd/smb2_ioctl.c:312
[2019/04/16 10:29:47.218622,  3] ../source3/smbd/dir.c:662(dptr_create)

There is a dfs server on this domain, but it makes no reference to fs that I can find. I found a blog that suggested adding "host msdfs = no" as an Axilliary Parameter in FreeNAS's smb configuration, but this didn't fix the problem for me.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

clarknova

Explorer
Today we learned that if we change the name of the folder then a user can open and browse the folder normally. All I did is change Working_Files to Working-Files and the problem went away. If I change the dash back to an underscore the problem returns.