SMART test tasks updated to 11.3 - possible bug

rogerh

Guru
I can't really report this as a bug as my information is too vague. For several generations of FreeNAS I have had SMART test tasks on ada0-3 and not ada4-5. That is because the latter are SSDs and on crippled SATA connections on an N54L and they cause errors when I try to do SMART tests. I last checked on these tasks in the old GUI probably in 11.2 but possibly before. I have been on 11.3 since the release, now on 11.3-U3.2. I now find that the smart test tasks in the new GUI *include* ada4 & 5 and *exclude* the four that should be tested. Furthermore, until I corrected this and saved the task there was an extra entry about power management that is not in the guide that appeared in the task edit form, but this has now gone! By the way, it was not just the record of the task that was inverted, ada4 & 5 were being tested in the last two or three weeks, and the first four not.

The reason I found this is that I was looking for reasons the server crashes in the early morning every few days and I can find no log or crash records of why. I don't yet know if fixing the GUI record of the SMART tasks will make a difference to the crashing.

It might be worth anyone who is not SMART testing all their drives regularly and who has updated to 11.3 checking whether their SMART task has got corrupted. In the usual case of all drives being tested I doubt if this problem will be apparent.