smaller DC powered Hardware suggestions/experiences? (OffGrid NAS solution)

Offgrid

Cadet
We are looking for DIY Open Source NAS solutions, to set up a simple NAS to centralize our domestic data from the existing 3 Laptops to one RAID 2 Dual disc NAS (instead of regular backUps) with preferably (low powered) 2.5" discs.

We life offGrid afloat, with most appliances running on DC 24v and 12v (like the 12V router, the 24v kettle etc, or other DC voltage than 12/24 via DC stepUp/Down converters, as for example the Laptops) with only some very few appliances needing 220v AC, supplied via inverter when necessary.

To minimize drain on the battery bank useing a mains powered PC or server for the NAS (as mostly recommended in here) isn't an option, so the NAS should live on something DC powered, like a Mini PC / Thin Client / NetBook. The commonly known Shelf-Bought commercial NAS solutions, although DC powered, are not really an option due to being non-open-source, unreliable, restrictive and their sneaky coorporate nature.

We used the search function but didn't find to much relevant posts, hence this post. However we read that some people in the forum tried their hands on small platforms, as a HP Elitedesk 800 g2 i5 Quad, which is a DC powered Mini/ThinClient available for reasonable pricing, but without follow-up posts.

We are aware of the minimum requirements as 64bit and 8GB RAM, and have read "TrueNAS Community Hardware Guide / 2021-01 Edition Revision 2a" but are still unsure about possible connectivity of the RAID drives (do they NEED to be internal, or can they be external? most Minis/Thins have one internal and other drives are connected via USB.

The NAS will be shut down when not in use (as the router and everything else etc), so needs to be (st)able to boot up daily or so.

Does someone have either successful experience with low energy DC platforms, and can point towards it, or is it more or less not advised with the TrueNAS due to the requirements?

We have basic IT knowledge (setting up systems, software) but are not IT people (not working in the field nor is it our hobby) so sincere apologies upfront for misuse of technical terms or the unusual question per se.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The commonly known Shelf-Bought commercial NAS solutions, although DC powered, are not really an option due to being non-open-source, unreliable, restrictive and their sneaky coorporate nature.
Many of the Intel-powered QNAP boxes can run TrueNAS, and that may be the most compact and energy-efficient solution available.
one RAID 2 Dual disc NAS (instead of regular backUps)
There's (effectively) no such thing as RAID 2, and RAID isn't a backup. If your data is important, suggest you rethink this strategy.
minimum requirements as 64bit and 8GB RAM
16 GB RAM, now.
still unsure about possible connectivity of the RAID drives (do they NEED to be internal, or can they be external?
They pretty much need to be internal. More accurately, you can use external SAS drives (connected via SAS) pretty safely, but USB-connected disks are strongly discouraged.

But really, if you want to run a computer on DC, that's simple enough to arrange with something like the PicoPSU:

Redcoat

MVP
Many of the Intel-powered QNAP boxes can run TrueNAS, and that may be the most compact and energy-efficient solution available.
Welcome to the forums!

Use the search here for '"TrueNAS on QNAP" and find many threads discussing the topic.

Good luck!

Arwen

MVP
Be careful with 2.5" hard drives. You can generally get higher capacity in 2.5" spinning rust, than cost effective 2.5" SSDs. But, many of the higher capacity 2.5" hard drives use SMR technology, which does not work well, (or at times at all), with ZFS.

You did not mention the amount of storage you were looking at. Please do, that affects what we can suggest.

Running TrueNAS on tiny or DC only servers is not all that common, so you may run into corner cases where TrueNAS or ZFS does not work well.

My current desktop is a miniature PC, with 2 x 2.5" SATA slots, 2 x 2280 NVMe slots, with AMD Ryzen processor and laptop type DC power supply. It has 2 x SO-DIMM slots, which can take 2 x 16GB SO-DIMMs. But, it's designed as a desktop. And while I do use ZFS for both my Linux OS and a second storage pool, I don't know if I would attempt to run TrueNAS on it. But then again, I don't live on a boat...

Constantin

Vampire Pig
A DC-DC power supply specifically designed for use in a car is definitely what you want - the on-board 24VDC main bus will feature all sorts of spikes even if its normally detached from your starter bank - think refrigerators, inverter systems, and so on. I have been very happy with my purchases from mini-box.com.

I second staying away from new spinning 2.5" drives since most, if not about all of them use SMR. That option adds 20% to the capacity of drives but also makes them fundamentally incompatible with ZFS because they use Device-Managed SMR. That in turn gives TrueNAS zero insight into what is going on in the drive re: flushing the CMR cache to SMR sector, resulting in TrueNAS wondering if the drive has gone bad. Sustained write performance with SMR (especially for resilver operations) is also terrible. Lastly, given how SMR drives rely on downtime to pursue housekeeping, your intended use case (server only on intermittently) is likely especially problematic.

Everything on a boat is more expensive... if it were my money pit in the water, I'd use SSDs in a three-way mirror. Fast, energy-efficient, and reasonably redundant. Use a external drive on occasion to back up and put it in a tight tin box (faraday cage) for long passages, just like cell phones and other gear with no offshore function. Some of the smaller motherboards out there might even be optimized around using multiple NVME sticks. I'd look into that for volume and size needs. Good luck!

Last edited:

awasb

Patron
If it should just be a NAS with ZFS ...

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I’m not sure how well a RPi will survive on a boat nor whether I’d like to run ZFS from a command line on a architecture that lacks ECC RAM and which relies on USB for data transfer.

It could work just fine or it could crash spectacularly as my Debian TimeMachine RPi host did.

awasb

Patron
In my camper it works just fine on a solar powered battery pack. (Mainly for "photo syncs". Pun intended. ) On a boat I'd be more concerned about the case/housing and the size, than the RAM error correction (especially when shut down daily and put aside).

elorimer

Contributor
You might think about a less robust solution, perhaps a DS120j one SSD disk wired into the 12v line, with backups to another SSD disk and into the cloud. Not sure what kind of data you have or your typical internet connection. I can't see hard disks on a boat because of the shocks, and at under 10w it might be doable. You saved that much by switching your anchor light to LED, yes?

sretalla