Slow CIFS performance (small files)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I found this thread by searching - had exactly the same problem. FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606270534 (dd17351) on N54L with 16GB EEC RAM and 4 x WD 4TB Red drives in two mirrors. (2 x NASWare version 2 drives and 2 x NASWare version 3 drives, about 2 years apart) Writing large files was very fast - almost saturate 1 gig Ethernet and reading anything was always fast and would max out 1 gig Ethernet. Issue I had was copying music to a cifs share, I tried using NFS share, turning off compression, turning off atime - nothing made much difference and write speeds were still in the 5mbit/s to 15mbit/sec region, indicating something was seriously wrong.

Then I turned off Advanced Power Management on the disks (Storage, View Disks, then select each one and turn off APM) and all of a sudden the write speed jumped up to 86mbit/s which is roughly what I'd expect for 100s of small files and folders like my mp3 music store. (15% overhead for smaller files sounds reasonable)
Thanks! That's good to know. The above tests were done with Advanced Power Management turned off.

SteveM7

Cadet
Very tired when posted so obviously mbit/s should be MB/s !

Checking again now and am getting consistent 43MB/s - not sure why it's lower than last night, nothing has changed . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.