Slow and consistent SMB write performance

ecarlin

Cadet
Hello there.

Following this link that was suggested before this posting said this.
The other's have put you on the right track here. The key is to understand how the data gets handled with changes in pool geometry. The RAIDz1 case you chose typically presents a write speed equivalent to the slowest device in the pool, and a slight bump in read speed. Other pool geometries permit multiple data transactions to be "in-flight" in parallel. In the case of mirrors, the reads can be issued to devices in round-robin fashion, yielding a read rate that gets close to a sum of the individual device rates. Writes have to be issued to both devices, so single pair mirror write rates stay at single device write speed. Adding additional mirror pairs acts as a multiplier. Similar performance improvements can be obtained from parity geometries by adding vdev's. A 3 device RAIDz1 striped with another 3 drive RAIDz1, should have a write rate roughly 2x single device.

ecarlin

Cadet
Sorry, this posted without finishing the post. I originally had this 6 disk system in a RaidZ2 and I can get 10MBps written, consistently. The cache fills up to 26GB and I have a total of 32GB. I then switched to a 3 disk RAIDZ1 3 disk RAIDZ1 and I can get around 11MBps from a Windows machine. I think I am limited by the RAM and my disks, they are old and slow from what I know. Here's a link to the drives where I have six of them in this machine. https://www.storagereview.com/review/western-digital-caviar-black-review-2tb.

The drives are old but I'm curious if I was to bump up the RAM if I would get faster write speeds to the NAS.

Here's some specs - it's a consumer system.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
32 GB of RAM
an Intel addon NIC - igb0

I had the realtek onboard and it was miserable and some google searches lead me to FREEBSD and Intel.

I see here though that my gig card seems to only say 100baseTX - could be a problem for me. Unsure how to fix that as I am definitely a gig on the card. Drivers?

Thanks for some insight.

Attachments

• 2023-08-27 08.27.03 192.168.1.125 b426faa58d7b.jpg
    2023-08-27 08.27.03 192.168.1.125 b426faa58d7b.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 52

ecarlin

Cadet
Sorry, I cannot seem to edit my posts. However, upon looking at 100baseT I replaced my cable and it now has turned to 1000baseT which is my expected gig connection. Now I am getting 32MBps from my laptop to the NAS. 256mbps is a lot more reasonable. If I wanted to get closer to 700mbps etc, would adding more ram for more arc cache help me out? Apologies for the multiple posts!