SLOG vs L2ARC

erie_1

Cadet
I have 2 mirrored pools of hdd's one with data and backup datatsets and one for applications and potential vm's, I also have 2 ssd's(64gb and 128gb) lying around aside from my ssd bootdrive. I wanted to use them as L2ARC cache, but recently found that I can use them for the intent logs as well. I was wondering which you guys would recommend and what the benefits are to either option.
I have 32gb of ram, which will allready be used for ARC. The data/backup pool will get a lot of write actions from weekly backups and a medium amount of random read/writes for the data.
The applications pool is for some fooling around and experimenting so, usage is unknown. I could use both ssd's on 1 pool as cache and log, or 1 for each pool in some combination, what would be your recommendations?

I wanted to use them as L2ARC cache, but recently found that I can use them for the intent logs as well. I was wondering which you guys would recommend and what the benefits are to either option.
Neither.

Because of this,
I have 32gb of ram
Which may not be appropriate to willy-nilly throw in an L2ARC. You're better off increasing your RAM.

As for a SLOG, it only affects "sync" writes, which you're not likely using.

To quote a 14th century philosopher:

"Looking for ways to throw in whatever spare hardware lies in the drawer is the wrong way to design a server. One should rather define requirements and then identify suitable hardware to meet these requirements. If some of this hardware happens to be already owned, it's a freebie." -The Great Eh'Torix, circa late 1300's

danb35

Hall of Famer
As for a SLOG, it only affects "sync" writes, which you're not likely using.
Well, OP did mention "potential VMs"--but even assuming sync writes are in use, the odds that either of the devices in question is suitable for SLOG use are very slim.