Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC for noobs!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I didn't want to add stuff like you are proposing because it's supposed to be the noob guide. RAIDZ and RAIDZ2 are clearly explained in the manual, which should have been read. If you haven't read the manual you probably shouldn't be using FreeNAS.

As for the swapoff, there's alot of odd caveats to using FreeNAS, especially the beta builds. I don't want to fill the guide with lots of "ifs" and "thens". As it was, since 8.3 uses the new ZFS version I was hesitant to discuss the old versus new. Unfortunately, while my slideshow clearly states that it is written for 8.3 only, I'm sure people would ignore that message, so I tried to write in the differences as best as I could. Not to mention people that will upgrade FreeNAS but not upgrade the ZFS pool version.

pbrown

Cadet
suggestion: instead of dropbox, put the PDF in google docs, unzipped. Then people can use google "quick view", and/or link it into their own google docs space as well.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'll check it out. I've never used google docs before, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Added Google Docs version of PDF. The Google Docs doesn't like my powerpoint(my guess is the animations).

pbrown

Cadet
Thanks! the google docs version is nice quick n easy to read. relative to the other ways, at least :)

Now I'd just need to find different docs on freenas, that focuses on the non-zfs parts.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You are welcome. I noticed that was also your first post. Your time spent creating the account just to thank me will not go unnoticed :)

clarkeshaw

Cadet
I read the PDF and I only have one question. Where do I get the manual? Yes, I am a complete NOOB. So far my only guides have been YouTube tutorials.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I read the PDF and I only have one question. Where do I get the manual? Yes, I am a complete NOOB. So far my only guides have been YouTube tutorials.

doc.freenas.org

NASbox

Guru
Thank you very much for putting this together... very helpful &easy to follow!

Just one thing I want to check that I understood correctly...

If I have a ZPool with one VDEV consisting of 4 3TB drives in RaidZ2 and I later get 4TB drives, I can expand the VDEV by swapping out the drives one by one and resilvering. Did I get that right??

Thanks agaon for the great contribution.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Thank you very much for putting this together... very helpful &easy to follow!

Just one thing I want to check that I understood correctly...

If I have a ZPool with one VDEV consisting of 4 3TB drives in RaidZ2 and I later get 4TB drives, I can expand the VDEV by swapping out the drives one by one and resilvering. Did I get that right??

Thanks agaon for the great contribution.

Yep! Do them one at a time with a reboot after the last one is resilvered and you will suddenly have a bigger zpool.

pwfletcher

Dabbler
Thank you ... that helps ;-)

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
After reading this sticky I finally understand FreeNAS storage methdology :smile: THANKS

deadlift

Cadet
um the guy who invented l2arc states that removal of the l2arc device shouldn't destroy anything.

It's getting much better, but we have designed the L2ARC to handle errors safely. The data stored on the L2ARC is checksummed, and if the checksum is wrong or the SSD reports an error, we defer that read to the original pool of disks. Enough errors and the L2ARC device will offline itself. I've even yanked out busy L2ARC devices on live systems as part of testing, and everything continues to run.

http://www.brendangregg.com/bio.html
https://blogs.oracle.com/brendan/entry/test

that's an old statement however.
can someone state if that is FreeNAS bug that should the l2arc drop the zpool becomes unviable.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What?

I'm not sure why you are even posting in the thread for the presentation, but the presentation doesn't say anything about losing data if the l2arc goes offline. In fact, it says:

Failure of the L2ARC will NOT result in a loss of data, but performance of the zpool may degrade because the L2ARC is no longer functional.

deadlift

Cadet
doi! my bad confused zil and l2arc... been a long day. thanks for the clear up, keep up the good work.

BillyBob2

Dabbler
cyberjock, thank you for the guide :smile:

Yet another addition for your guide?

actually, this could may be whole a new guide with in it self: (or is it already?)

"Procedure on how to add disks to a VDEV?" what would be the simplest way of doing this?

or is the procedure, backup and then start from scratch?

since I don't have much incite on the subject. Would <Backup, Destroy, Add new Disk(s), rebuild> wizard be relevant?

BillyBob2

Dabbler
cyberjock, thank you for the guide :smile:

Yet another addition for your guide?

actually, this could may be whole a new guide with in it self: (or is it already?)

"Procedure on how to add disks to a VDEV?" what would be the simplest way of doing this?

or is the procedure, backup and then start from scratch?

since I don't have much incite on the subject. Would <Backup, Destroy, Add new Disk(s), rebuild> wizard be relevant?

I had this thought, because I made the stupid mistake of destroying my VDEV in error.
bottom line, I have a backup of my data & the FreeNAS backup file. but that's not enough is it? How do I get my machine backup with the least amount of re-configuring from scratch?