Since update trash doesn't work anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmi

Cadet
Hello community,

I found my way to this forum, because I have a problem with my FreeNAS and there is no solution around. Btw, sorry for my bad english.

Many month ago I installed FreeNAS 11.0-U3. It worked absolutely great. I never updated, because my FreeNAS isn't connected to the internet, so security isn't that important. But a few days ago I decided to update with the built-in updater while temporary internet access. Now it's FreeNAS 11.1-U1. I didn't change anything in my configuration.

Now the .trash doesn't work on any shared drive and on any client connected to the FreeNAS. If I want to delete a file, my client (Linux Mint) throws a Messagebox "That file can't be moved to the trash. Should it be deleted instead?" (free translation from the german message). But I have write permission to the drive and can delete the file permanently.
The owner of ".Trash-1000" on a shared drive is "nobody", the group is "-2". I think, that is wrong.
I noticed, that my custom user wasn't asigned to my custom group after the update anymore. I reasigned that (incl. reboot), but that doesn't fix the problem.

Any idea?

Details about hardware and configuration I'll give, if you need it. I think, that's not important for my problem.

Thank you very much for your time!
Emanuel

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Any idea?

Details about hardware and configuration I'll give, if you need it. I think, that's not important for my problem.

Thank you very much for your time!
Emanuel
This sounds like you need to open a bug report. That can be done from the FreeNAS GUI if you can connect it to the internet temporarily. That way log files can be automatically attached that will help the development team find and fix the problem.

Emmi

Cadet
I have no idea, what is going on.

But I made a test. First I took screenshots from all settings pages in FreeNAS, because I'm not sure, if import and export of settings works fine over different versions.

Then I took a new CF-card and did a fresh installation of FreeNAS 11.1-U1. Imported my volumes, set exactly all my settings and shares. Trash doesn't work too. So my update didn't go wrong, because my fresh system behaves the same.
After that I cleaned the CF-card and made a fresh installation of 11.0-U3, my version before the update. Same hardware, same volumes, same settings, same shares - trash works.

So there's a difference between these versions. I made a bug report.

https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/27897

Thank you.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So there's a difference between these versions. I made a bug report.
Could be some difference in the default settings between versions that isn't captured in the config db.

What method are you using for creating the share, SMB?

Emmi

Cadet
What method are you using for creating the share, SMB?
No, I use NFS only.

For me it seems like a permission problem, but everything else works. I can write or delete files.
The user names and ids, the group names and ids and the permissions were exactly identical in both versions.

And like I said, I didn't use the config export and import function in this case, to avoid settings that are not included or incompatible between both versions.
I installed a fresh 11.0-U3 and a fresh 11.1-U1 and did exactly the same steps in the webgui. Therefore I did Screenshots of my settings before to ensure everything is set up identical.
The result is, that the trash (recycle bin) works in 11.0-U3 and doesn't work in 11.1-U1.

I'm very curious about the results of the bug report.

Status
Not open for further replies.