simple bridge interface down after reboot

dirtyfreebooter

Explorer
Running TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1

I have a simple bridge interface bridge0 -> ixl1

1612466561476.png

1612466581092.png

1612466603108.png

I have that bridge used in jails and VMs.

After I reboot, there is NO connectivity in any jails or VM. If I ifconfig ixl1 up in the shell, all jails and VMs immediately have connectivity. When I reboot, I checked the link status and it seems fine. All the status in UniFi controller regarding that switch port also seems great.

Code:
root@behemoth[~]# ifconfig ixl1
ixl1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=a500b9<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,VLAN_HWFILTER,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6>
        ether 9c:69:b4:61:f2:e7
        media: Ethernet autoselect (10Gbase-SR <full-duplex>)
        nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>

Using this bridge for 4 jails and 7 VMs. How do I get it to be active on boot? Is this is known bug?

Last edited:

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
It may be a bug, but try tossing "up" into the options section, which should pass that through to ifconfig and bring it up at creation.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Ah ... that could explain my regression with BRIDGE --> VLAN --> PHYS after update. I did not bother to check that, my bad.
Some time before or even including 11.3 "up" in options was mandatory. Simple missing feature, I would not call that a bug. You have to do the same in a regular FreeBSD, too.

dirtyfreebooter

Explorer
that seemed to work, thanks!

not sure i agree on "feature" vs "bug", I am configuring the interface, why wouldn't I want it to be "up", that is really dumb IMHO, I don't really care what FreeBSD does by default, FreeBSD is FreeBSD. FreeBSD does a lot of dumb stuff.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you assign an IP address to an interface the "up" is implicit. If you don't because you use it strictly as a layer 2 link and IP and everything happens one (bridge), two (vlan), or even three (lagg) layers further up, then you need to configure the physical interface "up" explicitly. Nothing stupid about that.

They can try to do it automatically but I guess admins like me will come up with use cases where the automatism fails. Or they could just document it, which would be my preferred solution.

dirtyfreebooter

Explorer
yea, i get what you saying, we will probably just disagree on this until the end of time, you are saying what happens under the hood in FreeBSD because of FreeBSD's network stack inability to propagate up (unlike Linux's doing the same type of bridges), but what i am saying is, it doesn't make any sense because the vlans and bridges and vnets on top of the interface stack can't pass any traffic until "up" is done, so what sense does it make for TrueNAS to require such a detail to an end user? If i could think of some valid reason for leaving the interface down and nothing to work above it, then fine, document it, i guess.