SOLVED Should write speed be faster?

jcm1123

Dabbler
Just installed Core and testing out speeds and wanted to see if there's anything I can tweak to get more speed.

I just pulled the drives out of a Windows 2019 server running Raid10 and it got around R/W: 110/20 so not too far off.

Pretty sure this drive can hit around 150/150 locally.

Read: ~110mb Write: ~12mb
MB: X10SRL-F
CPU: E5-1650v4
Mem: 64gb ECC DDR4
Boot pool: 2x 512gb SSD sata mirror
Data pool: 4x 2tb Barracuda 7200 sata (ST2000DM006). 2x mirrors striped (Raid10 equivalent I think?)
NIC: 1gb

MrGuvernment

Patron
How are you testing the speeds? 150/150 is likely perfect peak performance for a single large file transfer that is not fragemented.

jcm1123

Dabbler
How are you testing the speeds? 150/150 is likely perfect peak performance for a single large file transfer that is not fragemented.

Doing a large file copy from a Windows client and also using Lan Speed Test (which I think also just does a file copy).

LarsR

Guru
Have you checked if your drive is CMR or SMR? most Baracuda drives i've seen are SMR drives. And SMR and ZFS dont match well.

jcm1123

Dabbler
Have you checked if your drive is CMR or SMR? most Baracuda drives i've seen are SMR drives. And SMR and ZFS dont match well.
Ah, didn't know such a thing existed. Mine appears to be SMR, only the 1TB versions are CMR.

And "doesn't match well", from what I've read that is in the form of IO blocking, so definitely performance related?

I guess this is a good time to go SSD :)

ChrisRJ

Wizard
And "doesn't match well", from what I've read that is in the form of IO blocking, so definitely performance related?
Allegedly there have even been cases (don't remember details) were data were lost. Performance issues can creep over to data safety.

Even if it is "only" about performance, we are not only talking about a 20% decrease. There have been reports that scrubs extend from roughly 18 hours with CMR drives to about a week (or more?) with SMR drives. Details vary of course. But the overall message is pretty clear.

jcm1123

Dabbler
Maybe I should make a new thread but are there any known issues with the Silicon Power 2TB A58 drives? They say 1000 TBW, which would take me years to hit.

Amazon link: https://a.co/d/fA3oiMo

MrGuvernment

Patron
Maybe I should make a new thread but are there any known issues with the Silicon Power 2TB A58 drives? They say 1000 TBW, which would take me years to hit.

Amazon link: https://a.co/d/fA3oiMo
DRAM-less drives, so performance is not top notch for a 2.5" SSD when under heavier loads, why it is so cheap, but if may be enough for what you need as well though..

jcm1123

Dabbler
DRAM-less drives, so performance is not top notch for a 2.5" SSD when under heavier loads, why it is so cheap, but if may be enough for what you need as well though..
They should be much faster than my spinning disks and half the price of the good drives. Hopefully results in an upgrade either way.

If not I'll return them and bite the bullet for the 870 evos.

jcm1123

Dabbler
Just following up here. It appears my crappy test switch was the culprit.

I installed the new SSDs and was getting around the same speeds so I threw it in the rack and connected it to the 10gb switch and now I'm getting 1gb read/write speeds using CrystalDisk and Windows file copy.