Should I buy LSI MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i RAID Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgrnpacer

Dabbler
Rookie here again with my second question. I appreciate all the advice you guys gave me on my hard drive cooling thread btw.

While researching read/write speeds expectations of a RAIDZ2 pool I came across this website (https://calomel.org/zfs_raid_speed_capacity.html) that had some pretty eye-opening comparisons. I have tried to find other places that provide the same types of results in order to verify that this isn't a one-off odd setup but I have been unable to locate anything.

About 2/3 of the way down the page the author sets up a test comparing different types of SATA controllers and the title of the section is "All SATA controllers are NOT created equal". The test shows that using the LSI MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i RAID Controller provides a very large performance advantage compared to onboard controllers in most cases. It even uses a Supermicro mboard as one of the examples. So I read through the stickied LSI thread in this forum and felt pretty good about going with the recommended
IBM ServeRAID M1015 card that you convert to an LSI SAS2008 but when I read through some of the reviews and some comments in the review threads everyone was talking about how the SAS2008 had great read performance but was lacking on the write side... I did some more digging and found out that the cheaper converted card doesn't have a cache on it but the better LSI card that was used on the calomel article does and that was the reason why it was so much better. I looked at prices for both and it looks like a $400 purchase to get the better card....

My first question is whether anyone is using the LSI MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i card and has an idea of possible pitfalls I might run into if I use it on a Supermicro board compared to the cheaper card.

My second question is whether the differences in performance in the article are in the same ballpark for what I could expect while running FreeNAS? Does their test setup have any peculiarities that would lead you to believe that the gains he saw would not translate to a FreeNAS server? While performing a write operation the FreeNAS OS would take advantage of a write cache on an LSI card right? It wouldn't bypass the cache if I put the card in JBOD mode?

Any insight would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Short answer: No.
Long answer: It may even be slower than an SAS 2008/2308 card, thanks to the cache messing things up. The SAS 2208 only has an advantage when doing RAID. You should not be doing RAID. It probably doesn't even have a real JBOD mode, too.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
As far as an HBA card is concerned, the IBM M1015 cards are King (For Freenas) for those who need more sata ports.
I use one and can say without a doubt, that it is just as fast, or a bit faster than the on-board ports of the
X9SCM-F-0 motherboard it's installed on. Many people that are having/reporting problems with the
card (in most cases) do not have it configured properly. The big stumbling block seems to be firmware
mismatch with driver versions. If you can get it set up with your FreeNAS install, you should have
zero problems and no performance issues at all.

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
The write performance is only important if you run hardware raid. you don't, so that doesn't matter. in hba mode the controller doesn't need to calculate any raid parity and doesn't impact performance.

pgrnpacer

Dabbler
Thank you guys for the input! I re-read through the stickied hardware recommendations and decided on the X10SL7-F. I have a bit more research to do on the power supply and UPS and I should be ready to make a post describing my build and asking for input.

Status
Not open for further replies.