Shell won't open - Listen queue overflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloomo

Explorer
Another forum member was very kind to point me in the direction of tmux a couple days back for doing extended tasks that I wanted to monitor from the shell, like dd and badblocks.

Tmux is great and better still, I can attach sessions that were started from the GUI shell and pick them up from SSH on my terminal session from Mac desktop.

Which is completely necessary! Because once I run tmux from the GUI and it's running something like dd, I can't reopen the shell in the GUI. Every time I click on it, the window opens with "loading" and then crashes / closes itself. Is this normal? In the console footer I can see this happening:

May 1 09:59:08 TheShed kernel: sonewconn: pcb 0xfffffe00169f34b0: Listen queue overflow: 8 already in queue awaiting acceptance

One thing I can think of, is once I've used tmux/GUI shell, I'm not typing "exit", I'm just closing the window, does this mean the shell remains busy? Am I doing it wrong o_O ??

Any help / flaming / ridicule would be appreciated!

cyberjock

Inactive Account

bloomo

Explorer
d. All of the above!
In that order too!

Thanks for the links, reading is my friend. Figured it was a mix of being beyond the scope of what GUI shell was capable of and my poor understanding of tmux.

Have never worked with unix before this and very little with the command line in general, the learning curve is steep! More reading!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No joke, I printed out those keyboard commands and stuck them on my wall for a weekend.. had them memorized like a pro after playing with my server over a weekend. ;)

bloomo

Explorer
No joke, I printed out those keyboard commands and stuck them on my wall for a weekend.. had them memorized like a pro after playing with my server over a weekend. ;)

Already done! I can totally see why it's so helpful, especially with multiple sessions, etc.

The suggestion of using tmux should be in the Freenas doc under the Shell section in 12.2! Wasn't clear to me that I shouldn't use ongoing process commands in the GUI shell.

Thanks for helping man! (back to figuring out why dd is only showing drive activity on one hard drive [ada0] when I clearly used "for i in 0 1; do", arggghhhh).

JoanTheSpark

Dabbler
I know the OP is over a year old, but I stumbled across this 'problem' and got a 'workaround' to get back to the tmux session.

Another forum member was very kind to point me in the direction of tmux a couple days back for doing extended tasks that I wanted to monitor from the shell, like dd and badblocks.

Tmux is great and better still, I can attach sessions that were started from the GUI shell and pick them up from SSH on my terminal session from Mac desktop.

Which is completely necessary! Because once I run tmux from the GUI and it's running something like dd, I can't reopen the shell in the GUI. Every time I click on it, the window opens with "loading" and then crashes / closes itself.

This happened to me too (started burn in test via GUI shell and now it does the same "loading"-crash thing) - luckily my board has BMC/IPMI and using that I was able to reconnect to the tmux session in the shell there.

Status
Not open for further replies.