Sharing Mysteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cre8toruk

Dabbler
Hi All, apologies in advance... I'm a version 11 FreeNAS user having upgraded to version 10 and downgraded to 11 :)... Anyhoo... I have an SMB share for my movies, music etc, but I have to admit that it's all been a bit of a mystery as to how it actually works... From what I can gather, when you create an SMB share with FreeNAS you don't seem to have to provide any type of access controls i.e. who can access what....

When I look on the smb share screen I see that one of my shares has the "Allow Guest Access" check box checked (it's the share i use for my Sonos music library) whereas one of my others doesn't... I wanted to try and understand it better, as I've no idea how I have access to the share from my windows PC. i.e. how do i give a FreeNAS user account permission to a share? The documentation keeps talking about using the wizard but I'd rather know how to assign users to shares without magic and try and understand it. Also it begs the question how do you modify access to a share for example adding another user or removing a users access from the share ?

I have to apologise in advance. I am a windows user so I'm not too experienced in *NIX environments but I'm happy to learn...

thanks in advance,

Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcoat

MVP
A couple of resources for you to take a look at:

1 - Windows permissions here

2 - Samba permissions here

Both authors are regulars here so they and many others will be able to answer follow-on questions. Search this forum also - your issue(s) is/are frequent thread topics here.

Status
Not open for further replies.