Set recursive userquotas on datasets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris.shelton

Dabbler
Hi,

I am able to set a userquota on a dataset by issuing the command 'zfs set userquota@name=20G pool1/data1' which works just fine.

But I have a few child datasets within data1 and would that like that dataset to apply to these child datasets too. Anybody know if that's possible?

Thanks, Chris.

I don't think this is possible. Datasets are supposed to be your control point so a place whereby you can create quotas, reservations, compression level etc. Any reason why each user requiring a quota couldn't have their own dataset?

chris.shelton

Dabbler
I don't think this is possible. Datasets are supposed to be your control point so a place whereby you can create quotas, reservations, compression level etc. Any reason why each user requiring a quota couldn't have their own dataset?

Mainly because there just doesn't seem to be any need really. I could give each user a dataset for their home directory, but that wouldn't work for shared directories. I have a directory that needs to be accessed by all users and needs a quote per person.

Forgetting FreeNAS in my experience shared directories have quotas enforced on the share itself and not the amount individual users can save to that share but perhaps this varies depending on what environment your in.

Status
Not open for further replies.